Membership software (also known as an Association management system) is a computer software solution which provides associations, clubs and other Membership organizations with the functionality they require to provide their services to their members.
It normally includes at least the following:
- Storing and editing member information in a database.
- Creating, renewing, upgrading and downgrading memberships.
- Communicating with members by email, social media, telephone or post.
Membership organizations have diverse needs and structures, and this is reflected in the additional features Membership software sometimes includes:
- Organizing and selling tickets to events or series' of events.
- Publishing and delivering textual or audio-visual content.
- Providing advertizing opportunities via listings or targeted placements.
- Facilitating interaction and collaborative file sharing between members.
- Tracking members' interests and activity to provide relevant services.
- Raising supplementary income from donations.
Like many other modern software solutions, Membership software was initially delivered as desktop software, evolved into website based software delivered from a web server, and is now increasingly delivered as a Software as a service solution.
In the initial (desktop software) and intermediate (website based software) stages of its development, Membership software was often combined with a separate public facing website, which members would use to interact with the association (subscribing, booking events, purchasing content and advertising, posting discussions, uploading files). This necessitated complex integrations between proprietary Membership software databases and Content management systems. Today, Membership software often integrates the core features of a content management system, to provide a single coherent interface for members and administrators. These are available as standalone solutions or as plugins to popular open source content management systems.
The smallest associations and clubs often create their own ecosystem of services to offer some of the same functionality as Membership software. They do this by using generic database or spreadsheet software, and adding on external solutions as they need them (e.g. event registration, online payments, or email newsletters).
The Membership software market spans the rest of the industry, from small and medium sized organisations with limited resources, to very large and complex organisations of national and international renown, to association management organisations which manage multiple associations using a single solution. There are many solutions available from a wide variety of different commercial providers and open source projects. Most solutions are generic, but many are also targeted at very particular segments (e.g. Church software).