Association for Mormon Letters
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2014)|
The Association for Mormon Letters (AML) is a nonprofit founded in 1976 to promote quality writing "by, for, and about Mormons." The broadness of this definition of Mormon literature has led the AML to focus on a wide variety of work that has sometimes been neglected in the Mormon community. The AML sponsors an annual scholarly symposium and publishes the papers presented there in the AML Annual. The AML has also sponsored writers' conferences.
The AML sponsors AML-List, an e-mail list for the discussion of Mormon literature. Over the years, list subscribers have posted reviews of thousands of Mormon books, films, and other artistic works. Besides the Annual, The AML also published the literary journal Irreantum from 1999 to 2013 and the literature blog Dawning of a Brighter Day since 2009.
See full article: AML Awards
Since 1977, the AML has given awards to the best work "by, for, and about Mormons." When the Whitney Awards were begun in 2008 (honoring 2007 work), many saw them as a populist reaction against the more academic AML Awards.
The award categories vary from year to year depending on what the AML decides is worthy of honor.
Irreantum, AML's literary/critical journal, was founded by Christopher Bigelow and Benson Parkinson in 1998. Bigelow served as editor until 2004. Laraine Wilkins was editor from 2004 until her death in September 2006 from injuries sustained in an auto accident. Valerie Holladay and Scott Hatch were co-editors from October 2006. In April 2008 Holladay stepped down, and Angella Hallstrom replaced her as co-editor. In 2009 Hatch stepped down, and was replaced by Jack Harrell. In 2011 Hallstrom stepped down, and was replaced by Josh Allen. The journal ceased publication in 2013.
- Henderson, Gae Lyn, "Passionate about Mormon Fiction, Drama, and Film? Discover the Association for Mormon Letters", MormonLetters.org (Association for Mormon Letters)
- "Review Archive", MormonLetters.org (Association for Mormon Letters)
- "AML Discussion Board", MormonLetters.org (Association for Mormon Letters)
|chapter=ignored (help)[unreliable source?]
- "Dawning of a Brighter Day", MormonLetters.org (blog) (Association for Mormon Letters)
- Morris, William (August 21, 2007), "Diversity or dilution? The Whitneys and BYU Studies Review", MotleyVision.org (A Motley Vision)
- Morris, William (October 21, 2008), "LDS fiction; Mormon fiction (part two)", MotleyVision.org (A Motley Vision)
- Morris, William (September 3, 2006), "In memoriam: Laraine Wilkins", MotleyVision.org (A Motley Vision)
- Morris, William (October 13, 2006), "The AML announces new Irreantum editors", MotleyVision.org (A Motley Vision)
- Morris, William (November 25, 2013), "Replacing Irreantum: Scope/Positioning", MotleyVision.org (A Motley Vision)
|This article related to the Latter Day Saint movement is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|