Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence
|Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence|
|Headquarters||Menlo Park, California, United States|
The Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) is an international, nonprofit, scientific society devoted to advancing the scientific understanding of the mechanisms underlying thought and intelligent behavior and their embodiment in machines. AAAI also aims to increase public understanding of artificial intelligence (AI), improve the teaching and training of AI practitioners, and provide guidance for research planners and funders concerning the importance and potential of current AI developments and future directions.
The organization was founded in 1979 under the name "American Association for Artificial Intelligence" and changed its name in 2007 to "Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence". It has in excess of 6,000 members worldwide. In its early history, the organization was presided over by notable figures in computer science such as Allen Newell, Edward Feigenbaum, Marvin Minsky and John McCarthy. The previous president is Eric Horvitz, the president is Henry Kautz, and the president elect is Manuela Veloso.
The AAAI provides many services to the Artificial Intelligence community. The AAAI sponsors many conferences and symposia each year as well as providing support to 14 journals in the field of artificial intelligence. The AAAI also established the "AAAI Press" (based in Menlo Park, California) in association with the MIT Press in 1979 to produce books of relevance to artificial intelligence research. Additionally, the AAAI produces a quarterly publication, AI Magazine, which is written in such a way that it allows researchers to broaden the scope of their knowledge beyond their sub-fields. This magazine was first published in 1980.
AAAI organises the "AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence", which is considered to be one of the top conferences in the field of artificial intelligence. Every other year, AAAI works with other AI organizations worldwide to put together the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI).
- Brundage, Miles. (2013-07-19) AI is not as smart as a 4-year-old child. Slate.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-23.
- "Computer scientist Lillian Lee named AAAI Fellow". Cornell Chronicle. August 14, 2013. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- "AAAI Officials". Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- "AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence". Archived from the original on 30 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "2007 Australian Ranking of ICT Conferences". Archived from the original on 2 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-16.[dead link] Tier A+.
- "Top-ranked Conferences in "Artificial Intelligence"". Microsoft Academic Search. Retrieved 2009-10-16. Rank 2.
- AAAI.org, AAAI official website