Association of Football Federations of Azerbaijan
The Association of Football Federations of Azerbaijan (AFFA) (Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Futbol Federasiyaları Assosiasiyası, AFFA) is the governing body of football in Azerbaijan. It organizes the Azerbaijan Premier League, the Azerbaijan Cup and the Azerbaijani national football team.
The AFFA was formed on 26th March 1992, after Azerbaijan gained its independence from USSR. In 2012, the federation held an election with Rovnag Abdullayev being only candidate, the assembly was marred with controversies.
Relationship with FIFA
The country's football received major blow in April 2002, when UEFA imposed a two-year ban in response to a long-standing conflict between the AFFA and majority of the Azerbaijan Premier League clubs. The domestic championship was abandoned as a result of the conflict and the top clubs prevented their players from playing for the national team, with tax officials also probing allegations of fraud at the Azerbaijan federation.
- Association of Football Federations of Azerbaijan
- Rovnag Abdullayev (15 March 2008 - present)
- Elshad Nasirov (1 November 2007 - 15 March 2008) (acting)
- Ramiz Mirzayev (29 December 2003 - 29 October 2007)
- Fuad Musayev (1992 - 29 December 2003)
It organizes the following competitions:
- Men's football
- Azerbaijan Premier League (or Topaz Premyer Liqası); First league
- Azerbaijan First Division (or Birinci Divizion); Second league
- Azerbaijan Cup
- Azerbaijan Supercup
- AFFA Amateur League
- Women's football
- Azerbaijan Football League; First Women's Division
The AFFA also organises national football teams representing Azerbaijan at all age levels:
- Azerbaijan national football team (currently managed by Berti Vogts)
- Azerbaijan U21 national football team (currently managed by Bernhard Lippert)
- Azerbaijan U19 national football team (currently managed by Nicolai Adam)
- Azerbaijan U17 national football team (currently managed by Mirbaghir Isayev)
- Azerbaijan U16 national football team (currently managed by Tabriz Hasanov)
- Azerbaijan U15 national football team (currently managed by Aslan Kerimov)
- Beach football
- "AFFA-nın 20 İLLİK FƏALİYYƏTİNƏ “2” VERİLDİ". www.musavat.com (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Rovnag Abdullayev re-elected AFFA president". www.uefa.com. UEFA. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "İbrahimoviç Qurbanova çatdı". futbolplusqol.com (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- Walker, Paul. "Relief for Wales as Uefa lifts ban on Azerbaijan". Independent.co.uk. The Independent. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- Association of Football Federations of Azerbaijan ; (english version)
- AFFA TV
- Azerbaijan at FIFA site
- Azerbaijan at UEFA site
|This article about an Association football-related organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about sports in Azerbaijan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|