Assumption College for Sisters
|Assumption College for Sisters|
|Type||Junior Catholic women's college|
|President||Sister Mary Joseph Schultz, S.C.C.|
|Location||Mendham, New Jersey, USA|
- This article is about the women's college in Mendham, New Jersey. For other colleges with similar names, see Assumption College (disambiguation)
Founded in 1953 through an affiliation with nearby Seton Hall University, Assumption is run by the Sisters of Christian Charity and is housed in their Mallinckrodt Convent on a 112-acre (0.45 km2) property. It is the last remaining sisters' college, or college primarily designed to educate nuns, located in the United States.
Since it is primarily designed to prepare women for work in religious vocations, Assumption specializes in theological studies and the liberal arts. Religious courses are offered in doctrine, morality, catechetics, mariology, ecclesiology, and other areas of focus. More traditional subjects such as philosophy, art, literature, history, music, chemistry, biology, calculus, psychology, and computer literacy are also offered and required. Students at Assumption can receive the Associate of Arts and/or the Associate of Religious Arts upon graduation; a certificate option in Theological Studies is also available.
The student body at Assumption consists of women who have been accepted to religious institutes, women under spiritual advisement who are considering joining religious institutes, and lay people. Lay students may only receive credit for courses in theology and philosophy; all other courses must be audited. Men are permitted to register for a limited number of courses.
Assumption is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and the Commission on Higher Education of the State of New Jersey; it has been continuously accredited since 1965. It is a member of the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities and the National Catholic College Admission Association.
- Assumption College: 2005-2006 Bulletin - accessed April 16, 2006
- Assumption College: Degrees Offered - accessed April 16, 2006
- Assumption College: Religious and Lay Student Body - accessed April 16, 2006
- The College Board: Assumption College for Sisters - accessed April 16, 2006
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education Institution Directory: Assumption College - accessed May 2, 2006
- National Catholic Reporter: Sisters' college marks 50 years (October 25, 2002)
- The New York Times: New Jersey experiment rejuvenating sisterhood (September 19, 2004)
- Yahoo! Education: Assumption College for Sisters - accessed May 2, 2006