Aster Data Systems
- For other uses, see Aster (disambiguation).
|Public, Part of Teradata Corp|
|Industry||Data warehouse technologies, software and programming|
|Headquarters||San Carlos, California USA|
Aster is a big data analytics and discovery solution that enables organizations to analyze diverse multi-structured data through integrated analytics like path, text, graph and machine learning; all through SQL and with point-and-click applications. Aster's massively-parallel database management system includes multiple analytic engines like SQL, MapReduce, Graph and multiple data stores like row, column and file that are integrated through the SNAP Framework(TM) for breakthrough performance and scalability.
Aster Data's database management system was originally called nCluster and ran on a cluster of commodity server computers. The architecture of Aster nCluster was optimized for data warehousing and analytic applications, also called online analytical processing as opposed to online transaction processing. Aster Data created a framework called SQL-MapReduce that allows the Structured Query Language (SQL) to be used with the MapReduce paradigm from Google.
Aster Data was co-founded in 2005 by Stanford University graduate students George Candea, Mayank Bawa and Tasso Argyros. It received funding from First Round Capital, Sequoia Capital, Institutional Venture Partners, Cambrian Ventures, Jafco Ventures as well as angel investors including Rajeev Motwani, Ron Conway and David Cheriton. It received first round of funding of $5 million in 2005, then a second round of $17 million in February 2009, and third round of $30 million in September 2010.
Teradata had acquired an 11 percent ownership interest in Aster Data Systems in September 2010. On March 3, 2011, Teradata agreed to pay an additional $263 million for the remaining ownership interest, net of debt and other expenses. The acquisition completed in April 2011. In September 2011 a computer appliance version of the product was announced, with pre-configured software bundled with hardware.
In October 2012, Aster announced a second version of its appliance. In addition to the Aster database software, the new appliance was available with nodes running the Hortonworks distribution of Apache Hadoop.
In October 2013, version 6 of Aster database software was announced. It supported graph database technology, and a file system that the company said was compatible with the Hadoop distributed filesystem.
Clients and partners
Since the acquisition by Teradata in 2011, Aster customer base has grown exponentially. Today, leading organizations across the globe in a variety of industries like telecommunications, financial services, retail and manufacturing use Aster for use cases as diverse as omni-channel customer experiences to digital marketing and preventive machine maintenance. Aster customers include household names like Verizon Wireless, Wells Fargo, Discover, NCR, Dell, Siemens and Swisscom.
An early large customer of Aster Data Systems was MySpace, which used the product primarily for clickstream analysis by 2008. Other early customers include comScore, LinkedIn, Share This, Intuit, Akamai, and Full Tilt Poker.
Aster started a partner program in 2009. Featured technology partners include Dell for its hardware platform, MicroStrategy to integrate MapReduce and business intelligence software, and Informatica's data integration software.
For his key leadership and visionary role in creating and establishing the “Big Data” market; Aster Data co-founder/CEO and IIT Bombay alumn Mayank Bawa, B.Tech, Computer Science, Class of 1999, was awarded Young Alumni Achiever Award at IIT Bombay's 55th Foundation Day held on Monday 10 March 2014.
Aster Data's former Chief Technical Officer, Tasso Argyros, was named a "2011 Technology Pioneer" by the World Economic Forum in the category of Information Technologies and New Media, and was positioned as a "Company to Watch" in 2010 by Intelligent Enterprise's Editor's Choice. It was ranked seventh on the 2011 "top 50 venture-funded companies" by the Wall Street Journal.
- "MapReduce, SQL-MapReduce® Resources & Learning". Aster Data web site. Archived from the original on July 16, 2011. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- "George Candea". Dependable Systems Laboratory faculty profile. École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- "Teradata Completes Acquisition of Aster Data: Bringing together two leaders to deliver powerful insights for organizations". News release (Teradata). April 6, 2011. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- "Aster Data Systems Extends Oversubscribed Series B Funding to $17 Million IVP Adds $5 Million in Additional Funding for Proven Leader in Frontline Data Warehousing". News release (Institutional Venture Partners). February 25, 2009. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- Jason Kincaid (September 22, 2010). "Aster Data Raises Another $30 Million To Help Manage Big Data". TechCrunch. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- "Teradata to Acquire Aster Data". News release (Aster Data). March 3, 2011. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- Timothy Prickett Morgan (March 3, 2011). "Teradata snaps up Aster Data for $263m: Big data analytics". The Register. Archived from the original on 28 June 2011. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- Chris Kanaracus (September 22, 2011). "Teradata's Aster analytic database gets appliance treatment". Info World. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- Tony Baer (October 26, 2012). "It's happening: Hadoop and SQL worlds are converging". ZDNet. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- "Teradata Big Analytics Appliance Enables New Business Insights on All Enterprise Data". Press release (Teradata Aster). October 17, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- Andrew Brust (October 8, 2013). "Teradata Aster gets graph database, HDFS-compatible file store". ZDNet. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- "Teradata Aster Discovery Platform Liberates Data Scientists Around the World". Press release (Teradata Aster). October 8, 2013. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- "Introduction to Aster Data and nCluster". DBMS2 (Monash Research). September 2, 2008. Retrieved September 26, 2011.
- "Customers". Aster Data web site. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- "Aster Data Systems Announces Global Partner Program" (Press release). Aster Data Systems. June 16, 2009.
- Aster Data Technology Partners
- "Data Analytics Summit: The premiere event for supercharging analytics on big data". official web site. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- "Tasso Argyros, CTO, Aster Data and World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer 2011". World Economic Forum. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- "Aster Data Honored as "Company to Watch" in the 2010 Intelligent Enterprise Editors' Choice Awards" (Press release). Aster Data. March 8, 2010. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- "Intelligent Enterprise Editors' Choice Awards 2010". Information Week. February 11, 2010. p. 5. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- "The Top 50 Venture-Backed Companies". Wall Street Journal. March 20, 2011. Archived from the original on 29 June 2011. Retrieved August 12, 2011.