May 29, 1970
Cambridge, England, UK
|Residence||San Francisco, CA, USA|
|Alma mater||Stanford University
Carnegie Mellon University
|Thesis||Algorithm evolution with internal reinforcement for signal understanding (1998)|
|Doctoral advisor||Manuela M. Veloso|
|Notable awards||Hertz fellowship|
Astro Teller was born Eric Teller in Cambridge, England. He is the grandson of both Gérard Debreu and Edward Teller. Teller holds a Bachelor of Science in computer science from Stanford University, Masters of Science in symbolic computation (symbolic and heuristic computation), also from Stanford University, and a Ph.D. in artificial intelligence from Carnegie Mellon University, where he was a recipient of the prestigious Hertz fellowship. After working as a teacher at Stanford University, Teller became a business executive.
He is the co-founder and Chairman of BodyMedia, makers of the "BodyMedia FIT", "Bodybugg", and the "Sensewear" armbands (wearable devices that function as a dashboard for the human body; measuring sleep, perspiration, motion, and calories burned).
In May 2001, he was featured on NPR's All Things Considered, discussing how the good economy has shaped the attitudes of 30-year-olds towards their jobs.
Teller's definition of Artificial Intelligence ("the science of how to get machines to do the things they do in movies") was quoted in Ray Kurzweil's book, The Age of Spiritual Machines.
- Murphy, Victoria (June 6, 2005). "Mavericks: Future Teller". Forbes. Archived from the original on 9 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- The Hertz Foundation provides financial and fellowship support to remarkable PhD students in the physical, biological and engineering sciences. http://www.hertzfoundation.org/
- Lemly, Brad. "Discover Magazine: TEDMED".
- "The Mother of Invention".
- "Cerebellum Capital - Directors & Advisors".
- Interview on NPR's All Things Considered "Thirty Years Old".
- "TEDMED - Past Speakers".
- "idea City - Past Speakers".
- "France24 - Has Obama Already Won?".
- "France24 - Will The Democratic Convention boost Obama?".
- "France24 - US Elections: The Final Countdown".
- Random House: "Exegesis by Astro Teller".
- "Exegesis - Dutch Translation".
- "Exegesis - Japanese Translation".
- "Exegesis - Danish Translation".
- "Exegesis - German Translation".
- [ "Exegesis - Italian Translation"].
- Ray Kurzweil - The Age of Spiritual Machines, Chapter 4.
- "googles-solve-x". The Economist. 29 February 2012.
- Grossman, David (24 January 2014). "Secret Google lab 'rewards staff for failure'". News: Technology (BBC). Retrieved 25 January 2014.