New millennium astrological chart
Astrocartography (called "astrogeography" in Europe in earlier years) is one of several methods of locational astrology, which purports to identify varying life conditions through differences in location.
Developed and popularized by American astrologer Jim Lewis (1941-1995), astrocartography is a locational astrology system that focuses on elements of the natal chart, by identifying these factors on a world "Astro*Carto*Graphy Map." Lewis' Astro*Carto*Graphy maps show all locations on the earth where planets were "angular" (rising, setting, on the zenith or nadir) at the moment of an event like a person's birth. An "angular" planet is one that is conjunct one of these four angles (Ascendant, Descendant, MC or IC). These locations are displayed in the form of lines on the Astro*Carto*Graphy world map.
DIY Geographical Astrology
In order to do this yourself at home, you will need internet access to the Google Maps(TM), a screen capture app and a photo editor app which does transparent overlays allowing them to be resized and cropped. You will need access to an app or online chart creator which gives you a chart with a solid background preferably white such that it will work well with the transparency adjustment.
Step 1. Screen capture from Google Maps(tm) an image displaying the map location of origin.
Step 2. Screen capture or save a Natal, Transits, or other chart relocated to map location of step 1.
Step 3. Overlay with transparency adjustment the map with the chart sized as needed.
Step 4. Either printed or onscreen draw lines from the center of the chart through the planets.
Step 5. Interpret the "Directions", the lines - according to the planet or point that governs them.
Step 6. Feel free to interpret the lines any way that suits your current mood or desires.
[Example] Say you are considering relocating within the bounds of the U.S.A. and you presently reside in Lincoln Nebraska. Zoom and pan your Google Map(TM) to place Lincoln Nebraska in the center and to include all the areas of the U.S.A. you would consider for residence. Capture or save this image. Next you will cast your relocated chart saving it as well. When you have combined the two as in the steps above, you might see that the line through Jupiter takes you to Los Angeles and the Line through Saturn takes you to New York. According to classical interpretation of the planets, Los Angeles would "give" to your efforts and New York would "restrict" your efforts. L.A. would be the best of the two. However, your other planetary lines would suggest other locations. Some of them might better suit your needs in relocating. If you were relocating to find love, the Venus line might be suggestive of a place.
These maps are widely used to plan for relocation or travel. As such, they are part of a general branch of astrology known as locational astrology or "relocation astrology". Other techniques used for this purpose include local space mapping, relocated birth charts, and city incorporation charts.
A*C*G Map Sources & Variations
Lewis created the trademark "Astro*Carto*Graphy®" (A*C*G) to refer to his map and granted licences to three companies to customize his authorized maps and accompanying material: Astro Numeric Services (USA), Equinox Astrology (UK and Australia) and Astrodata (Switzerland). Other similar maps were developed showing additional locational factors Lewis rejected. One example is the "Astrolocality Map" developed by Astro Computing Services of San Diego. In addition to the A*C*G lines showing conjunctions to the angles, this version includes planetary squares, trines, and other aspects.
Official Astro*Carto*Graphy Licensees
- Biography of Jim Lewis by Robert Currey Part 1: Reprinted from the Astrological Journal May/June 1995:
- Carlson, S (April 15, 1988). "Astrology". Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences (Springer) 44 (4): 290–291. ISSN 1420-682X. "Even in the 20th century, astrologers have remained strong in number and powerful in influence, and their art has developed into many diverse forms: Natal astrology, Horary astrology, Sabian astrology, Humanistic astrology, Medical astrology, Astro-cartography,... 'Astro-cartographers' frequently counsel clients to move to other parts of their country, and even to emigrate to where the astrological influences will supposedly be more favorable."
- Davis, Martin (2008). From Here to There. An Astrologer's Guide to Astromapping. Dorset: Wessex Astrologer. p. 8. ISBN 978-1902405278. "Neil F. Michelson (1931-1990) of Astro Computing Services began offering "Astrolocality Maps" in 1984. These geographic maps of angularity (similar to A*C*G maps) were notable for their inclusion of aspect lines (60,90 or 120°) from the Midheaven or Ascending lines."
- The Astro*Carto*Graphy Book of Maps, with Ariel Guttman. Out of print.
- The Psychology of Astro*Carto*Graphy (Contemporary Astrology), (posthumous), by Jim Lewis and Kenneth Irving. ISBN 0-14-019512-2.
- From Here to There - An Astrologer's Guide to Astromapping, an anthology of articles by locational astrologers edited by Martin Jay Davis. Published by the Wessex Astrologer. ISBN 978-1-902405-27-8.
- Astro*Carto*Graphy - Explanatory Handbook, by Jim Lewis.