Astrocaryum tucuma Mart.
Astrocaryum aculeatum is a large, solitary palm.
Astrocaryum aculeatum is found in and around the Amazon Basin, from Trinidad and Tobago in the north, through Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, the Brazilian states of Acre, Amazonas, Pará, Rondônia, Roraima and south through the Bolivian departments of Beni, Pando, Santa Cruz.
This plant has edible fruit which may be used for production of biodiesel. Contains 50,000 i.u. per gram of pulp of Vitamin A, three times that of a carrot. It is also used to make a symbolic ring called a tucum ring.
Astrocaryum aculeatum (Tucuma) oil
The fruit of tucumã is composed of a woody core almost black color, containing a white almond paste, oilseed, very hard and covered with a yellow-orange pulp, little consistency and oily. Two types of oils are produced by this fruit: the oil of external pulp and almond oil. The oil is found in the fruit, as follows:
|Part of the fruit||R. Bolton (%)||Author (%)|
|Oil on external pulp||47.50||33.00|
|Oil on almond||32.50 to 43.50||36.50|
|Oil on whole seed||21.20||20.94|
The oil tucumã pulp is used to manufacture soap. Combine that, by its rich properties in omega 3,6 and 9, the oil is very used in cosmetic products for skin hydration, body lotions and hair products for damaged hair.
Composition fatty acid of Tucumã oil (Pulp)
|Free fatty acids||%||1.4562|
|Index of Iodine gl2 /100||82|
|Saponification value||mg KOH / g||188.4|
|Acidity||mg KOH / g||2.58|
|Index of Peroxide||meq / kg||1.72|
|Density||gr / ltr||0.982|
- Astrocaryum aculeatum Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew: World Checklist of Selected Plant Families.
- Kahn, Francis (2008). "The genus Astrocaryum (Arecaceae)". Revista Peruvana de Biología 15 (supl. 1): 31–48. ISSN 1727-9933.
- Bernal, Rodrigo (2008). "(1837) Proposal to conserve the name Astrocaryum aculeatum (Palmae) with a conserved type". Taxon 57 (3): 997–98.
- PESCE, Celestino. Oleaginosas da Amazônia. –Belém: Museu Paraense Emilio Goeldi, 2009.
- Amazon Oil industry. http://www.amazonoil.com.br/produtos/oleos/tucuma_polpa.htm
|This Cocoeae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This fruit tree-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|