Astronomy & Geophysics
|Astronomy & Geophysics|
|Former name(s)||Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society|
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||Astron. Geophys.|
|Discipline||Astronomy, geophysics, planetary science|
|Edited by||Sue Bowler|
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
Astronomy & Geophysics is a peer-reviewed scientific journal published on behalf of the Royal Astronomical Society by Oxford University Press. It was established in 1960 as The Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society and changed to its current name in 1997. As of 2012[update], it is edited by Sue Bowler (University of Leeds).
The journal covers astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology, planetary science, solar-terrestrial physics, global and regional geophysics, and the history of these subjects. It also publishes thematic articles regarding interdisciplinary research, science policy, news, opinions, correspondence, and book and software reviews. Royal Astronomical Society communications about events and people and obituaries are also within this journal's purview.
Furthermore, in keeping with the tradition of the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society, it publishes discussions of fundamental science and scientific controversies. The journal also functions as a channel of communication between the membership, the Council, and the Society's Officers.
Journal highlights 
The following articles have been selected by the editors of the journal as of particularly high interest and have been highlighted on the journal's website:
- Carr, Bernard; and George Ellis (March 19, 2008). "Universe or multiverse?". Astronomy & Geophysics (Wiley Interscience) 49 (02): 2.29 – 2.33. Bibcode:2008A&G....49b..29C. doi:10.1111/j.1468-4004.2008.49229.x.
- Edmunds, Mike (August 2, 2005). "The elementary universe". Astronomy & Geophysics (Royal Astronomical Society and John Wiley & Sons) 46 (04): 4.12–4.17. Bibcode:2005A&G....46d..12E. doi:10.1111/j.1468-4004.2005.46412.x. Retrieved 2010-06-11.
- Horner, Jonti; and Barrie W Jones (January 17, 2008). "Jupiter: friend or foe?". Astronomy & Geophysics (RAS and Wiley Interscience) 49 (01): 1.22 – 1.27. doi:10.1111/j.1468-4004.2008.49122. Retrieved 2010-06-11..
Abstracting and indexing 
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- Academic Search (including Academic Search Elite and Academic Search Premier)
- Current Contents/Physical, Chemical & Earth Sciences
- Meteorological & Geoastrophysical Abstracts
- ProQuest 5000
- Science Citation Index
According to the 2010 Journal Citation Reports, the journal has an impact factor of 0.339, ranking it 51st out of 54 journals in the category "Astronomy & Astrophysics" and 72nd out of 77 in the category "Geochemistry & Geophysics".
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society 
The Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society (Q. J. R. Astron. Soc, ISSN 0035-8738) was produced for the Royal Astronomical Society by Blackwell Science from September 1960 to December 1996. During that period 37 volumes were issued. Some research papers from the RAS' former publication Monthly Notices were also included in this journal, and it superseded Occasional Notes. It is continued in part B of the Royal Greenwich Observatory Report (ISSN 0308-3322).
Abstracting and indexing for Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society 
The Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society was formerly indexed in:
- International Aerospace Abstracts
- Computer & Control Abstracts
- Electrical & Electronics Abstracts
- Physics Abstracts. Science Abstracts. Series A
- Chemical Abstracts
See also 
- "RAS Publications". Royal Astronomical Society. 2006. Archived from the original on 6 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- "Astronomy and Geophysics". Royal Astronomical Society. March 8, 2005. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- Home page. Wiley-Blackwell. 2010
- "Astronomy & Geophysics - Journal Information". Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- "Abstracting, indexing, impact factor". Wiley-Blackwell. 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-11.
- Homepage at Wiley-Blackwell. September 2011.
- Bibliographic information for this journal. "Library catalog". Wheaton College - Helin Library. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- Bibliographic information for this journal. "Library catalog". All Five Colleges Library - Amherst College. Retrieved 2011-01-18. Text " Hampshire College " ignored (help); Text " Mount Holyoke College " ignored (help); Text " Smith College " ignored (help); Text " UMass Amherst " ignored (help)
- Compiled by John Williams of the Royal Astronomical Society (1870). A general index to the first twenty-nine volumes of the Monthly notices of the Royal astronomical society (Proceedings of the society from February 9, 1827, to 1868-69 session). London: Strangeways and Walden. OCLC 42319444