Astronomy and Computing
|Astronomy and Computing|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Discipline||Astronomy, computing science|
|Edited by||A. Accomazzi, T. Budavari, C. Fluke, N. Gray, G. Lemson, R. Mann, W. O'Mullane, A. Wicenec, M. Wise|
Astronomy and Computing is a peer-reviewed scientific journal covering research on applications computer science in astronomy published by Elsevier. It was established in 2013 and is abstracted and indexed in the Astrophysics Data System.
The importance of astronomical software to generating research results has grown, and indeed, much of modern research depends on software. Though occasionally discussed casually, the idea for a journal devoted to computational methods in astronomy was formally discussed at the Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems (ADASS) XX conference in a Birds of a Feather session in 2010, where it was demonstrated that the major astronomy publications are often reluctant to include purely computational articles, though other journals may be more accepting. The publication of computational methods is seen as an important step to bring those who write research software into the academic credit production system.
The development of Astronomy & Computing was presented in 2012 in a poster session at the Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems (ADASS) XXII conference, and the journal's first issue was published in February, 2013.
- Weiner, Benjamin; Blanton, Michael R.; Coil, Alison L.; Cooper, Michael C.; Davé, Romeel; Hogg, David W.; Holden, Bradford P.; Jonsson, Patrik; Kassin, Susan A.; Lotz, Jennifer M.; Moustakas, John; Newman, Jeffrey A.; Prochaska, J. X.; Teuben, Peter J.; Tremonti, Christy A.; Willmer, Christopher N. A. (2009). "Astronomical Software Wants To Be Free: A Manifesto". Astro2010: the Astronomy and Astrophysics Decadal Survey, Position Papers, no. 61 2010: 61P. Bibcode:2009astro2010P..61W.
- Gray, N.; Mann, R. G. (July 2011). "A Journal for the Astronomical Computing Community?". Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems XX (Astronomical Society of the Pacific) 442: 655. Bibcode:2011ASPC..442..655G.
- "Scientific software production: incentives and collaboration". Proceedings of the ACM 2011 conference on Computer supported cooperative work: 513–522. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Mann, R. G.; Accomazzi, A.; Budavári, T.; Fluke, C.; Gray, N.; O'Mullane, W.; Wicenec, A.; Wise, M. (October 2013). "Astronomy and Computing: A New Journal for the Astronomical Computing Community". Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems XXII (Astronomical Society of the Pacific) 487: 7. Bibcode:2013ASPC..475....7M.
- "Astronomy and Computing: First Issue Now Available". Retrieved 1 December 2013.