Asura (2012 film)
|Directed by||Keiichi Sato|
by George Akiyama
|Distributed by||Toei Company|
Asura (アシュラ Ashura?) is a 2012 Japanese anime film directed by Keiichi Sato and based on a manga by George Akiyama. Asura tied for the Audience Award for Best Animated Feature at the 16th Fantasia International Film Festival in Montreal.
- Masako Nozawa as Asura
- Megumi Hayashibara as Wakasa
- Kinya Kitaōji as Monk
- Tesshō Genda as Jitō
- Hiroaki Hirata as Shichiro
- Bin Shimada as Gisuke
- Kappei Yamaguchi as Kotaro
Mid 15th-century Japan. Flood, drought and famine have transformed the landscape of Kyoto into a barren wasteland. More than 80,000 people perished between 1459 and 1461. This desolate state serves as the backdrop to the beginning of the country's greatest civil war. In this era, a boy is born a beast - Asura. Abandoned as an infant, Asura is forced to learn the means of surviving in the wild. In time, he learns to kill humans as well. Asura's lost soul is saved by a young girl, Wakasa. Through love, she tames Asura's beastly heart and teaches him the lessons of humanity. Nevertheless, as Asura attempts to assimilate himself into village life, the poverty-stricken villagers are unwilling to accept the strange outsider and retaliate. Though he was taught kindness, love and empathy, it is jealousy and prejudice that drives him and Wakasa. A controversial masterpiece from the 1970s, Asura has been adapted into this hybrid animation feature film.
- Asura (film) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
- Asura (2012 film) at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Asura at the Internet Movie Database
- "Tiger & Bunny's Satou Directs Toei's Ashura Film". Anime News Network. 2012-01-30. Retrieved 2012-06-17.
- "Toei's Dark Anime Film Asura Previewed in Video Clips". Anime News Network. 2012-06-03. Retrieved 2012-06-17.
- "Asura". BCDB. 2012-08-13.
|This anime film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a Japanese film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|