|Other names (Eng.)||The Cessation, The Darkening|
Sūrat al-Takwīr (Arabic: سورة التكوير sūrat at-takwīr, “the Overthrowing chapter”) is the 81st sura of the Qur'an with 29 ayat. It tells about signs of the coming of the day of judgement. Some of these signs include the following: (a) When the sun is shrouded in darkness (b) When the stars lose their light (c) When the mountains are made to vanish (d) When the seas boil over (e) when the she camel about to give birth is left untended.
The condemnation of female infanticide was revealed in ayat 8,9 of this Sura: "And when the female (infant) buried alive (as the pagan Arabs used to do) shall be questioned: (8) For what sin she was killed? (9)"
- Whoever wants to see the Qiyamah with his/her eyes should read the verses of at-Takwir, al-Infitar and al-Inshiqaq.” 
- Imam Ahmad recorded from Ibn Umar that the Messenger of Allah said, "Whoever wishes to look at the Day of Judgement as if he is seeing it with his own eyes, then let him read (When the sun is wound round.) (81:1) and; (When the heaven is cleft asunder.) (82:1) and; (When the heaven is split asunder.) (84:1))."
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Surah At-Takwir (Complete text in Arabic with English and French translations)
- Tafseer of sura Takwir by ibn-Khatir
- Audio Tafsir of Surah At-Takwir
|Sura 81||Next sura: