At the Heart of Winter
|At the Heart of Winter|
|Studio album by Immortal|
|Released||28 February 1999|
Abyss Studios, Sweden
|Genre||Black metal, thrash metal|
|Producer||Peter Tägtgren and Immortal|
At the Heart of Winter is the fifth studio album by Norwegian black metal band Immortal. It was released on 28 February 1999 through Osmose Productions. It is the first Immortal album not to feature Demonaz on guitar, as he suffered from acute tendinitis in his hands. The album marks a shift in Immortal's musical sound, towards a black metal and thrash metal fusion.
At the Heart of Winter was recorded in November 1998 at Abyss Studios in Sweden. It is the first Immortal album not to feature a picture of the band on the cover, and the first to prominently feature the band's new logo.
In addition to a CD release, At the Heart of Winter was released as a limited edition metal box, as well as a hand-numbered LP on Osmose, which was later reissued in 2005.
|Chronicles of Chaos||9/10|
At the Heart of Winter was well received by critics. John Serba of Allmusic praised the album, writing, "the result is a clarity and focus that few purveyors of the genre succeeded at finding, a painstakingly organized assemblage of black metal's base elements into a disciplined purity of metal that prefers the power of the almighty riff, instead of the occasionally overblown classical structuring of much-lauded stalwarts Emperor and Cradle of Filth, or the strange experimentation that Mayhem and Arcturus would undertake".
|1.||"Withstand the Fall of Time"||8:29|
|3.||"Tragedies Blows at Horizon"||8:55|
|4.||"Where Dark and Light Don't Differ"||6:45|
|5.||"At the Heart of Winter"||8:00|
|6.||"Years of Silent Sorrow"||7:53|
- Abbath Doom Occulta – vocals, guitar, bass guitar, synthesizer
- Horgh – drums
- Demonaz Doom Occulta – lyrics
- Serba, John. "At the Heart of Winter - Immortal : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Bennett, J. "Decibel Magazine: Immortal - At the Heart of Winter". decibelmagazine.com. Archived from the original on 2 January 2010. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Schwarz, Paul (19 May 1999). "CoC : Immortal - At the Heart of Winter : Review". Chronicles of Chaos. Retrieved 24 August 2012.