View of the city showing its Pink Floyd park and surrounding mountains.
|Comarca||Vega de Granada|
|• Alcalde||Tomás Ruiz Maeso (2010) (PSOE)|
|• Total||47 km2 (18 sq mi)|
|Elevation||602 m (1,975 ft)|
|• Density||350/km2 (910/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
On 19 April 1956, Atarfe and the neighboring city of Albolote were struck by Spain's worst earthquake of the 20th century, a 5.0 MW temblor. 12 people died from the earthquake and subsequent landslide, and many of the city's buildings were ruined.
Pink Floyd park
Atarfe is famous for its music concerts. In 2008, Roger Waters, a former member of the band Pink Floyd, played there, resulting in a public park dedicated to Pink Floyd being created by the council.
Coliseo de Atarfe
Other notable music acts have played in Atarfe, including Placebo, Mark Knopfler and Leonard Cohen, either playing in the Coliseo de Atarfe football stadium or outdoors in the Recinto de Feria. The Coliseo also hosts corridas where top bullfighters such as El Fandi, El Cordobes and Paquirri appear.
- "The earthquake of Atarfe-Albolote, 19th of April 1956". UGR.es. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- "El ex Pink Floyd Roger Waters tocará en Atarfe por un millón de euros" (in Spanish). Ideal.es, 9 May 2008. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- "El Ayuntamiento de Atarfe dedicará un parque a los míticos Pink Floyd" (in Spanish). GranadaHoy.com, 24 October 2008. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- "PLACEBO + LAGARTIJA NICK + DORIAN en el Coliseo de Atarfe" (in Spanish). GranadaZoom.com, 24 July 2009. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- Coliseo de Atarfe - official website (in Spanish). Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- Ciudad Atarfe website (in Spanish). Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- Sistema de Información Multiterritorial de Andalucía – Statistical information
- Ciudad Atarfe – Tourist, cultural and administrative information on Atarfe
- Coliseo de Atarfe – Listings for the Coliseo events