Atchison County, Kansas
|Atchison County, Kansas|
Atchison County Courthouse in Atchison
Location in the state of Kansas
Kansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||August 25, 1855|
|Named for||David Rice Atchison|
|• Total||434 sq mi (1,124 km2)|
|• Land||431 sq mi (1,116 km2)|
|• Water||2.6 sq mi (7 km2), 0.6%|
|• Density||39/sq mi (15/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Atchison County (county code AT) is a county located in northeastern Kansas, in the Central United States. As of the 2010 census, the county population was 16,924. Its county seat and most populous city is Atchison. The county is named in honor of David Rice Atchison, a United States Senator from Missouri.
Law and government
Atchison County was a prohibition, or "dry", county until the Kansas Constitution was amended in 1986 and voters approved the sale of alcoholic liquor by the individual drink with a 30% food sales requirement.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 434 square miles (1,120 km2), of which 431 square miles (1,120 km2) is land and 2.6 square miles (6.7 km2) (0.6%) is water. It is the fourth-smallest county by area in Kansas.
- Doniphan County (north)
- Buchanan County, Missouri (northeast)
- Leavenworth County (southeast)
- Platte County, Missouri (east)
- Jefferson County (south)
- Jackson County (west)
- Brown County (northwest)
As of the U.S. Census in 2000, there were 16,774 people, 6,275 households, and 4,279 families residing in the county. The population density was 39 people per square mile (15/km²). There were 6,818 housing units at an average density of 16 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 91.62% White, 5.32% Black or African American, 0.55% Native American, 0.34% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.51% from other races, and 1.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.95% of the population.
There were 6,275 households out of which 32.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.30% were married couples living together, 10.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.80% were non-families. 27.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.70% under the age of 18, 11.30% from 18 to 24, 24.50% from 25 to 44, 21.40% from 45 to 64, and 16.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 93.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $34,355, and the median income for a family was $40,614. Males had a median income of $29,481 versus $20,485 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,207. About 7.90% of families and 13.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.80% of those under age 18 and 17.90% of those age 65 or over.
Unified school districts
Atchison County is divided into eight townships. The city of Atchison is considered governmentally independent and is excluded from the census figures for the townships. In the following table, the population center is the largest city (or cities) included in that township's population total, if it is of a significant size.
/km² (/sq mi)
km² (sq mi)
km² (sq mi)
|Water %||Geographic coordinates|
|Benton||06150||Effingham||1,076||7 (18)||156 (60)||0 (0)||0.25%|
|Center||11550||676||5 (13)||139 (54)||0 (0)||0.15%|
|Grasshopper||28225||Muscotah||588||3 (9)||170 (66)||1 (0)||0.52%|
|Kapioma||36100||271||2 (6)||123 (48)||0 (0)||0.05%|
|Lancaster||38350||Lancaster||922||6 (15)||156 (60)||0 (0)||0.28%|
|Mount Pleasant||48925||829||7 (17)||124 (48)||0 (0)||0.09%|
|Shannon||64275||1,753||12 (32)||140 (54)||2 (1)||1.16%|
|Walnut||74800||427||5 (12)||94 (36)||2 (1)||2.34%|
|Sources: "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files". U.S. Census Bureau, Geography Division.|
Information on this and other counties in Kansas
- List of counties in Kansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas
- Kansas locations by per capita income
Other information for Kansas
- List of cities in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- List of colleges and universities in Kansas
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Profile for Atchison County, Kansas". ePodunk. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Map of Wet and Dry Counties". Alcoholic Beverage Control, Kansas Department of Revenue. November 2004. Retrieved 2007-01-21.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- National Atlas
- U.S. Census Bureau TIGER shape files
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Ingalls, Sheffield (1916). History of Atchison County, Kansas. Standard Publishing Company. p. 127.
- Ingalls, Sheffield (1916). History of Atchison County, Kansas. Standard Publishing Company. p. 85.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Atchison County, Kansas.|
- Official sites
- Atchison County - Official Website
- Atchison County - Directory of Public Officials
- Atchison County - Chamber of Commerce
- Atchison County - Information, Skyways
- Atchison County Maps: Current, Historic, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Maps: Current, Historic, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Maps: Current, 1996, 1915, KDOT and Kansas Historical Society
||Brown County||Doniphan County||Buchanan County, Missouri|
|Jackson County||Platte County, Missouri|
|Jefferson County||Leavenworth County|