Atco, New Jersey
|Atco, New Jersey|
|Elevation||148 ft (45 m)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||874410|
Atco is an unincorporated community in Waterford Township in Camden County, New Jersey, United States. It is part of the Philadelphia-Camden metropolitan area, located 16 miles (26 km) southeast of Camden. Though generally considered part of Waterford Township, a small section of the southern edge of Atco is located in Winslow Township. The town is at the western edge of Wharton State Forest and the Pine Barrens. Atco is the home of the Atco Raceway, and served as the location for movie, Eddie and the Cruisers. In 2005, an episode of Viva La Bam was shot at the raceway. Atco Lake is a 30 acres (12 ha) lake in Atco. The area is served as United States Postal Service ZIP Code 08004.
The area gets its name from the Atlantic Transport Company, though other possible derivations have been offered, one of which is from the Indian word for "Land of many deer." The Atlantic Transport Company of West Virginia placed a major order with the New York Shipbuilding Corporation of Camden, New Jersey for four big ships launched 1902-3, which may have something to do with the choice of the name Atco at this time. Camden and Atlantic Railroad was founded in 1854; it crossed the Pinelands from Camden to Atlantic City. The Raritan and Delaware Bay Railroad was established soon after, linking Atco to communities such as Toms River, Waretown, Atsion and Vineland.
The story of the Atco Ghost is popular in Atco. Legend has it that a young boy was killed by a car while chasing a ball and that his ghost can be seen playing in the same street, Burnt Mill Road, after honking one's horn.
Atco is the site of Assumption School, an elementary school that operates under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Camden. Atco public schools serve K-6 grade. Atco Elementary (grades to K-1), Thomas Richards Elementary (grades 2-3) and Waterford Elementary (grades 4-6) serve students from Atco. Junior high school and high school students from Atco are served by Hammonton Public Schools or parochial schools of their choice.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Atco has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 from 2010 Demographic Profile Data for ZCTA5 08004, United States Census Bureau. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Atco, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed July 31, 2012.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Atco, New Jersey
- Gargan, Guy. "Local bowling: Kevin Voss rolls his first perfect game en route to 796 series in Hammonton" in The Press of Atlantic City (18 April 2011). Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- McCullen, Sean. "Police: Citizen Tip Nets Drug, Weapon Charges" in Gloucester Township Patch (6 November 2011). Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Beck, Henry Charlton. "Jersey Genesis: The Story of the Mullica River", via Google Books, p. 291. "More pertinent to us is the fact that Atco, in the same neighborhood, took its name from the Atlantic Transportation Company..."
- Rose, Lisa. "Creepy New Jersey: The stuff of legends", The Star-Ledger, April 13, 2012. Accessed July 31, 2012. "The Atco Ghost is Jersey's most dutiful apparition, a specter that appears when drivers honk three times on Burnt Mill Road in the Pine Barrens. The legend is that a boy darted into the street chasing a ball and was struck by a drunken driver."
- Camden County Schools, Roman Catholic Diocese of Camden. Accessed July 10, 2008.
- Climate Summary for Atco, New Jersey
- Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia: Sally Starr. Accessed November 26, 2006.
- National Dragster Records shattered, history made in Atco
- The Official website of the Delaware Valley Paranormal Association
- Legends & Lore Double Feature: Atco Ghost & The Downingtown Twin Tunnels