Atef Najib (Arabic: عاطف نجيب) was the political security chief in the city of Daraa, and is a cousin of President Assad. According to a fighter who defected to the opposition in the Syrian Civil War, Najib took "pleasure in hearing their [children being tortured by the government] painful moans".
- http://www.aawsat.net/2014/03/article55330375 Counting the Cost in Arsal
- newyorktimes, Beirut and Damascus staff (2 May 2011). "atef najib". syria.
- Muir, Jim (24 March 2011). "Syria: Setting the country alight?". BBC News.
- Uri, Friedman. "U.S. Responds to Syrian Crackdown with New Round of Sanctions".
- Sands, Phil (20 March 2014). "Blood ties: the shadowy member of the Assad clan who ignited the Syrian conflict". The National.