Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea
|Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea|
|Developer(s)||Gust Co. Ltd.|
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Sharī no Atorie ~ Tasogare no Umi no Renkinjutsu-shi ~?) is a 2014 Japanese role-playing video game developed by Gust Co. Ltd. for the PlayStation 3. As part of the "Atelier" series of games, it is the third installment of the "Dusk" storyline and the 16th main game in the series overall.
The player is able to choose to play as one of two characters, each with a differing storyline and adventure; regardless of which character is chosen, the flow of the game remains the same. In comparison to previous Atelier games, fields are significantly larger, and the player is able to harvest a wider variety of items and raw materials to use for mixing. Depending on the character the player controls, field actions that can be performed differ. Shallote is able to scrub the floor for items with her broom or clean and catch fish using bait, Shallistera is able to uncover hidden items through dowsing, and both characters are able to mine for items at various locations on the field.
A new goal management system known as the "life task system" displays the tasks which a player needs to do at a certain point in time, and is tailored to suit different play styles. The details of each life task vary upon play style and progression so that they match the player's previous choices, an example being a player who spends much of the time in battle will be given battle-related tasks. The field changes dynamically during exploration depending on the player's actions, where monsters and items on the map change after fulfilling life tasks. Failure to accomplish too many life tasks have a toll on the player's performance during exploration and item gathering.
Just like the previous game, the battle system involves parties consisting of up to six characters, where consecutive attacks fill a Burst gauge which triggers a Burst state when filled, allowing the player to build up effect boosts from the chain, and utilise special skills.
The player is able to experience events with the characters as the game proceeds. These events are separate from the main storyline, and allows the player to view new sides of the characters.
The player is able to combine items into different items. To create an item, the player must first obtain the blueprints and items to use as ingredients for the new item. The player can then choose what item to create through a list that is displayed by accessing a cauldron in an atelier. The player will then be able to choose ingredients and decide in what order they will be added, and the player will after a certain point in the game be able to use skills to fine-tune items in this step. At a high enough level, the access to using ”Chain" will be given. By using skills of the same element, a ”Chain" will build up. The Chain value affects the effect of skills. Additional effects can be picked in the last step of the creation of the item. Weapons and armor is made in the same way, but has to be crafted by character Miruca at her atelier, as the player characters Shallistera and Shallotte are unable to create such items. Miruca will also learn skills and share the level used to create items with the protagonists, but there are differences between Miruca’s, Shallotte’s, and Shallistera’s skills. Items that can be used to create other items can be obtained from the fields, but items may disappear from a location if they are harvested too frequently.
The game's story takes place about 10 years after the beginning of Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk and 6 years after the beginning of Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky. As water sources dry up from an oasis town, the plants wilt and animals go hungry. It is here where two alchemists with different methods of making a living meet. Whilst Shallistera aims to find a way to save her village from demise, Shallotte Elminus goes on her daily life in an attempt to become a proper alchemist. Shallistera's story will reveal the truth and mysteries that have been depicted throughout the series, while Shallotte's story will revolve around the daily life in the world. After meeting each other, Shallistera and Shallotte will grow by fulfilling goals by working together and the friendship of the two are one of the elements that the story will focus on.
- Voiced by: Kotori Koiwai
- The leader of a ship family's daughter who searches for a means to save her home village and travels to the oasis town to do so. She is given the responsibility of protecting a sacred alchemical relic.
- Shallotte Elminus
- Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- An inexperienced young girl who obtains few subcontracting jobs. She works as an alchemist and continues to run her late father's atelier while also learning magic from Wilbell.
- Voiced by: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
- Shallistera's guard and childhood friend, who fights with a pike.
- Miruca Crotze
- Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- A young alchemist who runs a small atelier, where she offers to create armor and weapons for the player. She is a childhood friend of Shallotte and the younger sister of Jurie Crotze.
- Jurie Crotze
- Voiced by: Kanae Itou
- A treasure hunter who aims to obtain riches and pay of her debts by seeking out treasures told of in legends. She is the older sister of Miruca Crotze, and hopes to live happily with her once she has paid of her debts.
- Wilbell voll Erslied (ウィルベル・ヴォル エルスリート Uiruberu Boru Erusurīto?)
- Voiced by: Asami Seto
- A sorceress in training who travels to the area in order to make contracts with spirits. She becomes Shallotte's teacher. Wilbell is a returning character in the "Dusk" series, and initially appeared in Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk.
- A nihilistic homunculus who is an experienced treasure hunter. Homura is a strong fighter and is learning an old kind of swordsmanship.
- Keithgriff Hazeldine (キースグリフ・ヘーゼルダイン Kīsugurifu Hēzerudain?)
- Voiced by: Jōji Nakata
- First seen in Atelier Ayesha, he is an experienced alchemist from another country with a keen interest about ancient times. He is searching for remains of ancient alchemy together with Odelia, an automaton who serves him. He is always holding on to his smoking pipe.
- Nady Elminus
- Voiced by: Aya Hisakawa
- A housewife and Shallotte's mother, who supports her daughter by finding jobs for her.
- Voiced by: Shin Aomori
- A shipbuilder by trade and escort of Shallistera.
- Escha Malier (エスカ メーリエ Esuka Mērie?)
- Voiced by: Rie Murakawa
- A returning character and one of the main characters from Atelier Escha & Logy, Escha is an alchemist like Shallistera and Shallotte, and government official summoned by Solle to the oasis town in order to continue the investigations. Ancient alchemy is her strongest skill, but her attempts on challenging the uses of alchemy gives cause to turbulence.
- Solle Grumman
- Voiced by: Daisuke Matsubara
- A returning character from Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky. Solle is a government offical sent for the sake of investigating the oasis town and to set up a Branch Office in the town.
- Katla Larchica
- Voiced by: Chihiro Uno
- Also a returning character from Atelier Escha & Logy, she is a traveling peddler who sells rare wares, though to most people, her wares does not appear very useful. She is looking for a way to make high profit in a short time in order to expand her business.
- Raoul Pireit
- Voiced by: Satoshi Tsuruoka
- The leader of an union for treasure who bestows the player with quests. He considers everyone affiliated with the union as a family.
- Harry Olson (ハリー・オルソン?)
- Voiced by: Mitsuaki Madono
- A recurring character in the Dusk series, Harry is a wealthy and eccentric collector of rare items. He travels around the world on an expedition together with Reyfer.
- Linca (リンカ Rinka?)
- Voiced by: Ami Koshimizu
- Another recurring character in the Dusk series, she returns now as a skilled and calm secretary who appears to have many secret admirers because of her beauty.
- Albert Perriend
- Voiced by: Nobunaga Shimazaki
- The only son of Gerard Perriend. He dreams about to revive automaton technology and mass produce them.
- Voiced by: Kaori Sadohara
- Originally seen in Atelier Ayesha, Odelia is a 900 year old automaton who used to work in an ancient library until she accepts Keithgriff as her new master and starts traveling with him. She serves Keithgriff as his assistant, and she has become like him a bit over the time they have spent together. She knows a lot about the past, but despite being a very well-performing automaton, her memory seems to have been damaged. Her name is romanized as Odileia in Japanese media related to the games.
- Reyfer Luckberry (レイファー・ラックベリー Reifā Rakkuberī?)
- Voiced by: Yasunori Masutani
- Returning from Atelier Escha & Logy, Reyfer is a sharpshooter and treasure hunter. He came to the area together with Harry, looking for a great pirate's treasure. Despite that he has already become rich, he continues to travel in search for new adventures.
- Voiced by: Yumi Hara
- A mysterious collector who travels by ship. In exchange for personal belongings as payment, she buries those who have passed away. She sells the valuables she has collected.
- Gerard Perriend
- Voiced by: Mahito Ōba
- Albert’s father and the leader of a company who controls the water source of the town.
|This section requires expansion. (April 2014)|
During the development phase, the game was referred to by the code name "Project A16", which was announced as a new game project by Gust on March 16, 2014. The game was initially announced for release on June 28, 2014, but was delayed to July 17 in the same year in order to improve the game’s quality.
- 2014-03-31, 「アトリエ」シリーズ最新作となる「シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～」が2014年6月26日発売。2人の“シャリー”が綴る黄昏の海の物語, 4gamer
- 2014-03-28, Atelier Shallie announced for PS3, Destructoid
- 2014-03-30, Atelier Shallie debut screenshots, details, Gematsu
- 2014-03-31, A Look At Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea’s Story And World, Siliconera
- 2014-04-08, Atelier Shallie introduces new characters and field actions, Gematsu
- 2014-03-31, 『黄昏』シリーズの正当続編PS3『シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～』、二人の主人公や新システムを公開, インサイド
- 2014-04-13, Atelier Shallie details three new characters, field actions, Gematsu
- 2014-04-22, Solle returns in Atelier Shallie, more characters introduced, Gematsu
- SYSTEM - キャライベント, Atelier-ps3.jp
- 2014-05-19, PS3「シャリーのアトリエ ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～」24歳になっても変わらない（？）ウィルベルが登場！わかりやすくシンプルになった調合システムも紹介, Gamer
- 2014-03-31, 黄昏シリーズ第3弾は2人の“シャリー”によって異なる物語が紡がれる―PS3「シャリーのアトリエ ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～」が6月26日に発売, Gamer
- 2014-04-01, A Glimpse Of Atelier Shallie, Siliconera
- 2014-03-31, ふたりの少女が紡ぐ新しい物語、“黄昏”シリーズ第3弾『シャリーのアトリエ ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～』, Famitsu
- 2014-06-26, PS3「シャリーのアトリエ」＆テレビアニメ「エスカ＆ロジーのアトリエ」完成記念発表会が開催―岡村ディレクターによるゲームの紹介や出演声優のトークが展開！, Gamer
- CHARACTER - ミルカ·クロッツェ, シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Official Site
- 2014-04-28, Atelier Shallie battle system, latest characters, more detailed, Gematsu
- SYSTEM - 調合·錬成, シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Official Site
- CHARACTER - ユリエ·クロッツェ, シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Official Site
- CHARACTER - ウィルベル·フォル＝エルスリート, シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Official Site
- CHARACTER - ホムラ, シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Official Site
- 2014-06-16, PS3「シャリーのアトリエ ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～」2人のシャリーが交わっていく序盤のストーリーを紹介―キースグリフの登場も明らかに, Gamer
- 2014-04-14, PS3「シャリーのアトリエ ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～」思いついたことがそのまま目標となるライフタスクと新たに用意されたフィールドアクションの数々を紹介, Gamer
- CHARACTER - エスカ·メーリエ, シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Official Site
- CHARACTER - ソール·グラマン, シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Official Site
- CHARACTER - カトラ·ラーチカ, シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Official Site
- CHARACTER - ラウル·ピレイト, シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Official Site
- SYSTEM - 依頼, シャリーのアトリエ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～ Official Site
- 2014-06-30, PS3「シャリーのアトリエ ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～」のゲームサイクルをおさらい！バトルで役立つスキル・必殺技や旧作から登場のキャラクターたちも紹介, Gamer
- 2014-07-14, PS3「シャリーのアトリエ ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～」ベリアン商会の会長・ジェラールと妖しい回収屋・ローゼミアを紹介！, Gamer
- 2014-03-25, “Project A16”の正式タイトルは『シャリーのアトリエ 黄昏の海の錬金術士』！ 6月26日にPS3で発売予定, Dengeki PlayStation
- 2014-05-01, PS3「シャリーのアトリエ ～黄昏の海の錬金術士～」発売日が7月17日に変更―さらなるクオリティアップを図るため, Gamer
- 2014-07-08, Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1335, Gematsu
- 2014-07-23, Media Create Sales: 7/14/14 – 7/20/14, Gematsu