|Directed by||Trivikram Srinivas|
|Produced by||Jayabheri Kishore
|Written by||Trivikram Srinivas|
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Cinematography||K. V. Guhan|
|Editing by||Sreekar Prasad|
|Distributed by||Jayabheri arts|
|Release dates||10 August 2005|
|Running time||172 minutes|
|Budget||210 million (US$3.4 million)|
Athadu (English: He) is a 2005 action thriller Telugu film directed by Trivikram Srinivas. The movie stars Mahesh Babu, Trisha Krishnan, Sonu Sood, Nassar and Prakash Raj. The movie's soundtrack was scored by Mani Sharma. This movie features Mahesh Babu in a negative role that later transforms into a positive one.
The film went on to become one of the highest grossing films in Tollywood. The movie was dubbed into Tamil and Malayalam languages as Nandhu and Target respectively. It was later remade in Hindi and Bengali. The film was also dubbed in Hindi as Cheetah - The Power of One and released on 11 February 2013.
Nanda Gopal/ Nanda (Mahesh Babu) is a professional assassin, and Malli (Sonu Sood) is his partner. A party leader, Shiva Reddy (Sayaji Shinde), wants someone to attempt an assassination on him so that he can get more Sympathy votes in the upcoming election. Shiva Reddy's colleague Baji Reddy(Kota Srinivasa Rao) hooks him up with Nandu for a deal. However, before Nandu can shoot Shiva Reddy, someone else fatally shoots him. Within minutes, police surround the building. Just before the exit of the building, a big car accident occurs on the street with Nandu's car. Nandu assumes that Malli got trapped and died in the accident. So Nandu goes to the top of the skyscraper. With the police behind him and in front of him, he is helpless. Suddenly a train comes and Nandu uses a rope to jump from the skyscraper to the train.
On the train, Nandu meets Pardhu (Rajiv Kanakala). Pardhu reveals that he ran away from his village in his childhood, Basarlapudi, when he was young. Pardhu explains that he is finally returning to his village. Later that same evening, while aiming for Nandu, the police accidentally shoot Pardhu and Pardhu dies on spot. Nandu escapes and decided to go to Basarlapudi. Thinking that Nandu is Pardhu, Pardhu's family accepts Nandu into their family. A girl relative to Pardhu's grandfather falls in love with Nandu, Nandu loves that girl too. Nandu solves many problems that Pardhu's family is facing. Meanwhile, a CBI officer, Anjaneya Prasad (Prakash Raj), investigating the murder of Shiva Reddy comes across Nandu alias Pardhu with the help of Railway reserved ticket for train in which Pardhu died on that day. He suspects Nandu of Shiva Reddy's murder. He tries taking Nandu's fingerprints unconventionally but Nandu outsmarts him. Soon clues lead to Malli but it is known that he is dead in car accident.
Anjaneya Prasad meets an old prisoner to get new clues if any. That person tells that Malli would generally accompany in escaping along with another guy who does the actual murder. He tells Anjaneya Prasad that person name is Nandu.
After the marriage of the granddaughter of Pardhu's grandfather was over, the CBI come because they find out that Nandu is not Pardhu and suspect that Nandu is the killer. Nandu learns of the situation and flees. After the CBI leave, Nandu returns to explain everything: who is he and how the real Pardhu was killed. At first the family shows no interest in helping Nandu to find the real assassin as they are all shocked but the grandfather (Nassar) helps Nandu by giving him a gun.
Nandu calls Baji Reddy and demands to know who killed Shiva Reddy. At first, Baji Reddy refuses but after Nandu tells him that he recorded their first conversation on the phone, Baji Reddy reveals everything. It was Malli who killed Shiva Reddy for Rs. 7.5 million. He faked his death by sending a drunkard in the car at the time of the accident. Nandu records this conversation and immediately leaves for the old church, where Malli is. Nandu and Malli meet and Nandu has the gun loaded before Malli. But the same policemen who killed Pardhu barge in. Nandu manages to kill all of them, Malli kills himself in trying to kill Nandu(because of a Goli(glass ball marble) presence in the gun(which is brought by Nandu), which makes bullet travel backwards after hitting it).
Nandu hands over the recorded cassette to the CBI officer. The CBI officer goes directly to Baji Reddy's office and tells him that he will hand him over to the police. Baji Reddy tells him that he has no concrete evidence. The CBI officer tells him that the tape is evidence enough for Siva Reddy's hot headed son,who has vowed vengeance for his father's death.Trapped without any recourse,Baji Reddy commits suicide. In the last scene, Nandu immerses Pardhu's ashes and the CBI officer lets him go to Pardhu's real family, where he plans to stay forever.
- Mahesh Babu ... Nanda Gopal / Nandu / Pardhu / Bava
- Trisha Krishnan ... Puri
- Sonu Sood ... Malli
- Prakash Raj ... Anjaneya Prasad (CBI Officer)
- Nassar ... Satya Narayana Murthy
- Brahmanandam ... Uncle of Puri
- Sunil ... Ramana
- Sayaji Shinde ... Shiva Reddy
- Rajiv Kanakala ... Pardhasaradhi alias Pardhu
- Kota Srinivasa Rao ... Baaji Reddy
- Uday Nair ... Puri's Kid Brother
- Rahul Dev ... Sadhu
- Ajay ... Pratap Reddy
- Sudha (actress) ... Aunt (Mom of puri)
- Giri Babu ... Puri's father
- K. Vishwanath ... CBI Officer
- Dharmavarapu Subramanyam ... Uncle of Puri
- Tanikella Bharani ... Naidu
- Brahmaji ... Nagasamudram Bujji
- Posani Krishna Murali ... Farooq
- Abhishek Sharma ... Young Malli
- Ravi Prakash ... as Assistant to Anjaneya Prasad( CBI Officer)
- Director: Trivikram Srinivas
- Producer: Murali Mohan & Jayabheri Kishore
- Art: Thotta Tharani
- Cinematography: K.V. Guhan
- Stunts: Peter Heins
- Music: Mani Sharma
- Choreography: Vaibhavi Merchant, Raju Sundaram, & Brinda
- Editing: Sreekar Prasad
|Soundtrack album to Athadu by Mani Sharma|
|Released||29 June 2005|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Mani Sharma chronology|
Audio of Athadu was released by Superstar Krishna on 29 June 2005 at the house set of the film constructed at Nanakramguda. This album consists of six melodies composed by Mani Sharma. Maruthi Music has bought the rights of this audio. This simple function was attended by Krishna, Mahesh Babu, Trisha, D Kishore, Murali Mohan and Pawan (Maruthi Music).
|2.||"Pillagali"||Sirivennela Sitarama Sastri||Shreya Ghoshal||4:26|
|3.||"Avunu Nijam"||Sirivennela Sitarama Sastri||K.K & Sunitha||4:27|
|4.||"Chandamama"||Sirivennela Sitarama Sastri||Mahalakshmi Iyer, Ranjith & Suchithra||3:55|
|5.||"Neetho Cheppana"||Sirivennela Sitarama Sastri||S.P.Balasubrahmanyam & Chitra||5:12|
|6.||"Pilichina Raanantaava"||Sirivennela Sitarama Sastri||Karthik & Kavita Krishnamurthy||4:21|
- Best Actor - Mahesh Babu
- Best Dialogue Writer - Trivikram Srinivas
- Nandi Award for Best Special Effects - C. H. Srinivas
- Best Film - M. Rammohan
The DVD version of the movie was released by Aditya Music under its Aditya Video Brand, and won the best DVD award for its quality and is considered to be one of the highest sold DVDs in Tollywood history.
- The film netted 1050,000 from 3 screens in Chennai in its opening weekend debuting at no. 2.
- It collected approximately 220 million (US$3.5 million) in its total run,thus becoming the sensational hit of 2005 in Tollywood. Its satellite rights were sold for 35 million (US$560,000).
- The film had a 50 days run in 205 centers and a 100-day run in 38 centres. The film had a 175-day run in Sudarshan 35 mm, Hyderabad., grossing Rs. 10.40 million from the theatre.
- Telecast rights were renewed by MAA TV for 35 million (US$560,000) MAA TV bought it for a period of 7 years. Previously, MAA TV brought it for lesser rate, but the huge success of Athadu on small screen increased demand and was quoted for high price.
- As well as being dubbed into Polish for a release in Poland as a Poszukiwany (Seeking), becoming the first Telugu film released in Poland. It received an overwhelming response in Poland as well.
- "Audio release - Athadu". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 29 June 2005.
- "Athadu audio songs online | Download Athadu Songs mp3 codes | Athadu music review | Listen to Athadu songs". MusicMazaa.com. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Athadu Songs - Athadu Telugu Movie Songs - Telugu Songs Lyrics Trailer Videos, Preview Stills Reviews". Raaga.com. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Cycle Stand - Telugu Cinema Trade Story
- Chennai Box-Office (Aug 12-15) - Sify.com
- CineGoer.com - News Archives - January 2006
- Athadu satellite rights for 3.5 crores
- Athadu 50 days centres
- Nonstopcinema Box Office - Athadu 100 days centers : Telugu movies, tollywood, cinema
- CineGoer.com - Box-Office Records And Collections - Maheshbabu's 175-Day Centres List