|Traded as||NASDAQ: ATHN|
|Key people||Jonathan Bush chairman and chief executive
Todd Park Chief Technology Officer of the United States,
|Products||electronic health records, practice management, patient communications, Care Coordination|
|Revenue||$324.1 million (2011)|
athenahealth, Inc. is a publicly traded American company that provides physician practices with online practice management and electronic medical record services, combined with medical billing and other healthcare business services. The company was founded in 1997 in San Diego, California, and today is headquartered in Watertown, Massachusetts, with operational sites in Belfast, Maine; Rome, Georgia; Alpharetta, Georgia; and Chennai, India.
In 1997, athenahealth cofounders Jonathan Bush and Todd Park started a women's health and birthing practice in San Diego, California, called Athena Healthcare. Unprepared for how difficult it would be to get reimbursed by insurance companies, they soon faced serious cash flow problems. After searching unsuccessfully for an existing EMR and practice management solution to meet their needs, they decided to form athenahealth, Inc. in order to create their own product. Enlisting the help of Todd's brother, software developer Ed Park, they began to develop an EMR and financial revenue cycle system with a "rules engine" of dynamic billing rules data.
In 2000, athenahealth introduced athenaCollector, their physician billing and practice management service. In 2006, it launched athenaClinicals, touted as the "first economically sustainable, service-based" electronic medical records (EMR) system. And in August 2008, it announced the acquisition of MedicalMessaging.net.
athenahealth also entered the area of healthcare reform in 2006, working with Physician's Practice Journal to provide an industry report card for the major insurance companies in the United States. The annual PayerView reports cull billing statistics from athenahealth's rules engine to deliver performance analysis and insurance company rankings based on payment times, denial rates, transparency, and other metrics.
After years of rapid growth, athenahealth, Inc. announced an initial public offering of its common stock on June 22, 2007. The offering was completed on September 20, 2007, at an offering price of $18 per share. It now trades on the NASDAQ exchange under the symbol ATHN.
Physician billing and practice management service combining award-winning software, proprietary claims knowledge, and business services.
Integrated electronic medical records (EMR) service, combining software with clinical and payer intelligence.
Automated calling and emailing platform and customizable patient portal system.
Cloud-based care coordination service for order transmission, insurance pre-certification and patient registration among physicians and hospitals, surgical centers and imaging centers.
The executive management team at athenahealth includes:
- Jonathan Bush, Chairman and CEO
- Timothy M. Adams, Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
- Daniel H. Orenstein, Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary
- Ed Park, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
- Derek Hedges, Senior Vice President, Business Development and Government Relations
- Leslie Brunner, Senior Vice President of People and Process
- Rob Cosinuke, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer
- Stephen N. Kahane, M.D., M.S., President of the Enterprise Services Group
- Jeremy Delinsky, Senior Vice President, Chief Technology Officer
- Todd Rothenhaus, M.D., Vice President, Chief Medical Officer
- athenahealth, Inc.
- athenahealth Blog
- athenahealth on Twitter
- athenahealth on Facebook
- athenahealth on YouTube
- "athenahealth, Inc. Factsheet". athenahealth, Inc. Archived from the original on 6 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- "Fights Over Health Claims Spawn a New Arms Race - Insurers and Doctors Try for Upper Hand; Firms Help Both Sides". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2007-02-14.
- "The Bush Health-Care Solution". Fast Company. Archived from the original on 13 July 2005. Retrieved 2005-07-01.
- "athenahealth Introduces Healthcare Industry's First Economically Sustainable, Service-Based EMR Offering for Medical Practices". Business Wire. 2006-07-25. Retrieved 2006-07-25.
- "athenahealth to Acquire MedicalMessaging.net Assets, Gaining New Patient Communications Service Capabilities". Forbes. Retrieved 2008-08-04.[dead link]
- Freudenheim, Milt (2006-05-25). "The Check Is Not in the Mail". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 18 June 2006. Retrieved 2006-05-25.
- "Health Care's Electronic Elixir?". Business Week. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "athenahealth Named One of America's Fastest Growing Private Companies for the Second Straight Year". Business Wire. 2006-08-29. Retrieved 2006-08-29.
- "athenahealth Management". athenahealth, Inc. Retrieved 2012-05-24.[dead link]