Type of site
|Registration||Optional (required for comments/posting)|
|Launched||31 March 2005|
|1,707 (As of May 2013[update])|
SB Nation (Sports Blog Nation) is an American sports network owned and operated by Vox Media. It has more than 300 web sites, which are maintained primarily by part-time contract writers. They submit posts, facilitate dialogue and interact with commenters. At a kickoff event in February 2009, there were about 185 blogs. ComScore, the Reston-based tracker of consumer Internet habits, tallied 5.8 million unique visitors to SB Nation websites during the month of November 2010. That 208 percent increase over the 1.9 million unique visitors in November 2009 made SB Nation the fastest growing sports website the company tracked at that time.
In December 2010, SB Nation had 12 million unique visitors and over 100 million page views monthly. Expansion plans include mobile and going global, into the "European Premier (soccer) League" [sic].
As of July 2013, SB Nation averaged 50 million unique visitors per month a 178% increase from a year earlier. It currently sits at 454th in the USA according to the web-ranking outfit Alexa. The site operates from Vox’s midtown offices just off Bryant Park in New York.
Notable SB Nation blogs
Mixed Martial Arts
Sb Nation's mmafighting.com won first place in "MMA Media Source of the Year" category of World MMA Awards 2013 awards. with their mma journalist, Ariel Helwani winning consecutively "MMA Journalist of the Year" 2010-2013.
Jon Bois uses the Madden NFL series of videogames to set up various hypothetical situations or implausible challenges (for example, attempting to break the record number of career touchdown passes, all in a single game) and then reports on the results.
- "SBNation.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- Dubois, Lou (20 August 2010). "The Evolution of Sports Blog Nation". Inc. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- Overly, Steven (20 December 2010). "SB Nation's sports blogger collective sees bias as a plus". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-01-08.
- "The New Game in Sports Journalism: SB Nation Claims 100 Million Monthly Views -- Going Global with Soccer Coverage". Beet.tv. 10 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-02-08.
- O'Keeffe, Michael (2013-03-05). "Outsports.com, which covers the gay athletes, bought by SB Nation parent company Vox Media". Daily News (New York). Retrieved 2013-04-23.