Athletics at the Friendship Games
Athletics at the Friendship Games was contested in 41 events, 24 events by men and 17 by women. Men competed at the Grand Arena of the Central Lenin Stadium (now Luzhniki Stadium) in Moscow, Soviet Union between 17 and 18 August, while women's events took place at the Evžen Rošický Stadium in Prague, Czechoslovakia between 16 and 18 August 1984.
It was the only Friendship Games competition which saw participation of recent Olympic gold medalists, with American sprinter Alice Brown taking part in women's 100 metre run, and West German Claudia Losch competing in shot put. However, neither won medals.
In an unusual feat, Alberto Juantorena (Cuba) and Ryszard Ostrowski (Poland) both crossed the finish line at exactly the same moment in men's 800 metres run. After the officials were unable to decide who came first – not even using a photograph – both were declared winners.
World records broken
1 new world record was set.
|Women's discus throw||Irina Meszynski||East Germany||73.36 m|
Host nations (Czechoslovakia and the Soviet Union)
- "Olympic Games 2008. Women's Discus Throw". IAAF official website. Retrieved 2010-05-29. P. 3
- "Westerners expected at Communist Games". The Palm Beach Post. 1984-08-16.
- Chmielewski (1987), p. 158
- Harvey, Randy (1984-08-25). "Tired Kratochvilova Beats U.S. Olympic Stars in 400". The Los Angeles Times.
- Eaton, William (1984-08-19). "Peace dominating message at Friendship Games opening". The Daily Courier.
- Chmielewski, Zbigniew; et al. (1987). Na olimpijskim szlaku 1984. Sarajewo, Los Angeles (in (Polish)). Warsaw: Sport i Turystyka. pp. 154–160; 213–215. ISBN 83-217-2610-0.
- Trzciński, Tomasz; et al. (1985). Gwiazdy sportu '84 (in (Polish)). Warsaw: Krajowa Agencja Wydawnicza. pp. 87–89. ISBN 83-03-01177-4.