Atlantic Free Press
|Type of site||News commentary, editorials|
|Owner||Free Press Group - V.O.F. Expathos, Groningen, Netherlands|
|Created by||Richard Kastelein,|
|Alexa rank||7,145,933 (April 2014[update])|
Atlantic Free Press, an online political website, was founded in September 2006 by Publisher Richard Kastelein of V.O.F. Expathos, in Groningen, The Netherlands and published over 13,000 articles from over 250 progressive writers worldwide until its closing in October 2011.
The publication's mission  according to the website was "...to dig out nuggets of truth from the slag-heap of lies, ignorance and witless diversion that has buried public discourse today. AF Press provides a new venue for disseminating hard news and insightful, fact-based analysis of the harsh realities too often ignored or distorted by the mainstream press."
One of the chief pipelines they claimed to used to disseminate the work was Google News but they also syndicated to Lexis Nexis, Ebsco, and many other networks via a deal with Newstex. Atlantic Free Press was also available on Amazon Kindle.
This site has sister publications at the Free Press Group  - Pacific Free Press, Chris Floyd - Empire Burlesque and Gorilla Radio which contains over 100 progressive podcasts by Pacific Free Press editor Chris Cook. Atlantic Free Press is a member of the Advertise Liberally Network at Blogads.
Atlantic Free Press has a library of hundreds of photoshops created from 2006-2008. Atlantic Free Press photoshop art was used by the University of California Davis, for the Center For the Study of Human Rights in the Americas.
According to the authors' list, 20 percent of the contributors are educated to Ph.D. level.
Atlantic Free Press was also covered in Killer Startups in 2008.
Atlantic Free Press contributors included Ansar Abbasi, Chellis Glendinning, Cynthia Ann McKinney, Dahr Jamail, Danny Schechter, Dave Lindorff, David Rovics, David Swanson, Deepak Tripathi, Dennis Jett, Ed Naha, Eric Margolis, Ezra Nawi, Faisal Kutty, George Galloway, Gilad Atzmon, Harvey Wasserman, Helena Cobban, James Howard Kunstler, James Petras, James Ridgeway, Jason Leopold, Jerome Grossman, Joe Bageant, Juan Cole, Jules Siegel, Kenneth Ring, Kevin Pina, Larry C. Johnson, Linh Dinh, Mahmood Mamdani, Marjorie Cohn, Mark Crispin Miller, Medea Benjamin, Michael Haas, Mike Ferner, Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed, Naomi Klein, Norman Solomon, Paul Krassner, Paul William Roberts, R.J. Eskow, Richard A. Falk, Richard C. Cook, Richard Kastelein, Robert Jensen, Rodrigue Tremblay, Roland Michel Tremblay, Sean Penn, Shahid Alam, Stan Goff, Tom Engelhardt, Tony Karon, Walter Brasch, Will Durst, William Blum, and Yvonne Ridley.
Atlantic Free Press's most popular articles from the 2006-2008 period are "Rush Limbaugh for the Nobel Peace Prize?" by Mel Seesholtz, Ph.D., "Trends for Downsizing the US: The Bright Side of the Panic of ‘08" by Christopher Ketcham, "Israeli best seller breaks national taboo - Israeli academic and historian says Jewish Nation myth" by Jonathan Cook, and "Leave No Rapacious Twit Behind: Soft Landing for the Elite, Hard Cheese for Everybody Else" by Chris Floyd.
Atlantic Free Press closed on Friday 14 October 2011. The editor-in-chief, Richard Kastelein, cited financial burden and personal time limitations as reasons for the closing. At the time of closing, the Atlantic Free Press had published over 13,000 articles. Pacific Free Press carried the torch after the closing, and as of April 2013 is still active.
Atlantic Free Press is in the Top 100,000 websites according to Quantcast  with a ranking of 88,621. The site has a Google Pagerank of 6. Atlantic Free Press is in the top 190 thousand .com sites according to serversiders.com  and over 2000 websites link to the site according to Google.
- "Atlanticfreepress.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "About". Atlantic Free Press. Free Press Group. 19 September 2006. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- "Atlantic Free Press on Google News (search)".
- "Atlantic Free Press". Newstex. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- "Atlantic Free Press (Kindle Edition)". Amazon.com. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- "Free Press Group".
- "Pacific Free Press". Free Press Group. Archived from the original on 6 April 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- Floyd, Chris. "Empire Burlesque - High Crimes and Low Comedy in the Bush Imperium (series)". Archived from the original on 6 April 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- Cook, Chris. "Gorilla Radio CFUV, Victoria, BC, Canada". Archived from the original on 11 April 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- "Create ad / Atlantic Free Press: Premium". Blogads. Pressflex LLC.
- "Richard Kastelein Photoshops Atlantic Free Press 2006-2008". Atlantic Free Press. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- "Richard Kastelein's Guantanamo". The Guantánamo Testimonials Project. Center For the Study of Human Rights in the Americas / University of California Davis. Archived from the original on 30 March 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2010.
- "Atlantic Free Press covered in Killer Startups".
- "Rush Limbaugh for the Nobel Peace Prize?".
- "Trends for Downsizing the US: The Bright Side of the Panic of ‘08".
- "Israeli best seller breaks national taboo - Israeli academic and historian says Jewish Nation myth".
- "Leave No Rapacious Twit Behind: Soft Landing for the Elite, Hard Cheese for Everybody Else".
- "Atlantic Free Press Closing Doors".
- "Pacific Free Press homepage".
- "Quantcast Ranking".
- "Atlantic Free Press Google Pagerank is 6".
- "Atlantic Free Press is in the top 190 thousand .com sites according to serversiders.com".
- "Atlantic Free Press on Twitter".
- "Free Press Group Twitter".