|Developer(s)||NDOORS Corporation (Nexon Corporation)|
|Genre(s)||MMORPG, Tactical RPG|
Atlantica Online is a free-to-play (F2P) 3D massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) developed by NDOORS Corporation. The game's primary setting is a fantasy-themed alternate history Earth composed of a diverse blend of historical, cultural, allegorical, and mythological elements. The game world is primarily modeled after real-world geography with accessible locations on six of the seven continents as well as the mythical floating continent of Atlantis from which the game's name is derived.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Release
- 3 Item Mall
- 4 Major content updates
- 5 Reception
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Atlantica Online is a turn-based tactical MMORPG in which the player primarily assumes the role of a descendant of the Atlantean people. The primary goal of the game is to search for your ancestral home to save the world from the effects of Oriharukon, a substance created by the ancient Atlanteans. To accomplish this goal, the player must embark upon a journey spanning the globe and transcending time in search of clues that will lead to the lost civilization, battling men, monsters, and machines along the way that have been corrupted by the Oriharukon’s Influence.
The game design puts a strong emphasis on membership in a guild. In a unique twist, there is a town ownership system within the game which allows guilds to take ownership of a town, customize it, and run the town like a business, profiting from the transactions that take place within their town. Up to ten guilds can unite under a single banner to form a Nation and go to war with other nations. Guilds and nations offer a variety of benefits to their members including passive boosts, guild-oriented dungeons, and ‘Guild Crafting’ where every member of a guild works together to complete a single craft.
In addition to the main quest line, the game features a variety of supplementary side quests rich with history and lore, a complex skill system, an in-depth crafting system, and a player housing system. As players journey through the world of Atlantica Online, their characters and mercenaries grow and develop gaining access to new, more powerful skills and equipment along the way. As the level cap has advanced, the developers have implemented a set of milestones in the leveling structure with associated level-specific quest lines that enable players access to powerful class-specific skills known as “talents” upon completion. Mercenaries have their own milestone systems where mercenaries can be upgraded into an even more powerful versions of themselves.
The equipment system in Atlantica Online is somewhat unusual for the genre in that there are relatively few equipment options available to players. Outside of a few class-specific armor sets and ‘legendary items’ that have been released either through events or the game’s microtransaction-driven Item Mall, there are only twenty three armor sets that can be obtained through crafting or drops. Players will gain an average of ten levels between armor tiers with some levels granting access to multiple similar sets of armor at once. To supplement this limited selection, the game features a system called ‘Enchantment’ whereby two pieces of identical armor can be combined into a single more powerful version of that same armor. Players can also attempt to raise the enchantment level of their armor through a process known as ‘Enhancement’ which only requires a single piece of equipment but carries the risk of the equipment’s potential destruction.
The world of Atlantica Online features real world locations mixed with mythological and fantasy elements. Countries like Germany and China are represented, with cities like Munich, Moscow, and Sapporo as visitable hubs that offer services like banks, hospitals, the marketplace where players can trade goods with each other and other facilities. Though the locations on the map feature climates similar to their real world counterparts, the architecture is often a generic recreation of well known structure types, such as the cities in Eastern Europe and Japan.
The locations are based on real world locations, but are often geographically out of place and altered for effect. Most of the civilizations represented are anachronistic: Rome is set in the Holy Roman Empire, while Great Britain is independent, the Ottoman Empire reigns in Turkey, Southeast Asia resembles ancient Indian kingdoms before Western colonization and Islamic influence, and North America is caught up in the Industrial Revolution.
On December 18, 2008, the North American continent was added, which features New York as a new explorable city and the United States and Mexico as explorable countries. These contain a few dungeons, but greatly expand the map in Atlantica. Developers have also mentioned the possibility of adding the continents of the Southern Hemisphere, excluding Antarctica.
As of April 2014, the game include's Atlantis (West and Eastern) and Earth (South America, Australia, North America, Central Asia, South East Asia, North East Asia, Northern Europe, Southern Europe and Africa)
There are a lot of spots constantly redesigned in the maps to prepare future Event's (Temporary) or even Permanent Content.
After beginning the game players can recruit mercenaries to join them in their travels. Users can have up to 8 mercenaries fight alongside in battle, and shuffle their lineup as the situation calls for. Mercenaries, like your main character, advance in both level and rank as they get stronger. Currently there are more than 40 different mercenary classes that differ in their skills, preferred method of attack (melee, ranged and magic attacks) and other characteristics. in late 2014 or early 2015 there will be a "CORPS" system added where you will have special mercenary's to hire, which will have a lower level cap but a way to equip the best gear's, Information on it will be added when released in a Western Server.
Original battle system
When a player character and an enemy character come into contact with each other on the game map, both parties are transported into an instance where the battle takes place. During battle other players' groups and other monster groups may join in to a maximum of three groups on each side.
In battle, the characters of each party are positioned on a 3x3 grid. The positioning of each mercenary and the main character is determined by the player outside of battle. However, it is possible to modify the positioning by moving the characters around during his/her turn. Using attacks and abilities, the goal is to beat the opponent. The rewards include experience points and loot like the game's virtual currency, various materials, pieces of equipment etc.
The battles require tactical decisions under time pressure.
Tactical battle system
The Tactical battle system (TBS) is a separate, additional combat system that differs in many respects from the original system. Players and their adversaries are placed in a landscape where moving around characters freely is possible. New decision impacts like the possibility to take cover, different height levels and the movement speed of specific characters are added while certain mechanics of the original combat system are removed.
Player versus player
Player versus player-combat (PvP) in Atlantica Online happens in two different league systems, the 'Free League' and the later added 'Colosseum League'. PvP in both Leagues takes place in the Original Battle System. Nine times per day a league will open and offer the opportunity to fight against other players for one hour. Besides the aspect of fun through fighting intelligent opponents and pitting one's strength against other players the rewards also include experience points, loot and special titles that can be displayed with one's character name. Every weekend a Weekly Championship is held with greater rewards including a special 'mount' (a steed your main character can ride on and receive bonuses from it). Every month the Grand Championship determines the best player in PvP across all servers of the region and offers the best rewards.
PvP in Atlantica Online is balanced through several mechanics meant to provide as fair a challenge as possible for the participants. For example, all special abilities are modified and can differ a lot from their PvE versions.
While the Free League is with intent meant to be influenced by the quality of equipment the opponents wear, the Colosseum League in contrast normalizes most attributes to make the 'skill' of both players the strongest impact on the result of a match.
Once per week a special PvP event called 'Spelltower Siege', implemented September 7, 2011, is held that uses the Tactical Battle System and allows players of all regional servers to meet on a battlefield and fight against each other for a strong buff that lasts for a full 7 days until the next Spelltower battle.
A dungeon in Atlantica Online is an instance region that can be opened with a special key and allows up to 3 players to clean the dungeon of enemies for a final reward in addition to the normal loot. Independent Dungeons, commonly called 'IDs', have a time limit and their setting is usually tied to that of the region the ID is located in. For example, 'Lerna's Labyrinth' in Greece features a story loosely based on the minotaur featured in a poem of Ovid. The dungeons require a minimum level and are set so that throughout the entire level range there is always at least one suitable dungeon.
New independent dungeons are added to the game frequently.
There are many ID's in Atlantica Online and there difficulty and level range are well spread, the game tends many of them are best off for 2 to 3 players to share the costs of the key, that can be obtained by Battle or Fishing Points, in Random Box's or obtained from the Market at a fixed price, promoting more player interaction and faster cleaning times of the dungeons.
The first dungeon's were the Sea Palace and the Arcane Web and also the Hypodrium of Death, but since then a lot of ID's were added, like the Tower of Darkness (101), Lerna's Labyrinth (105 as mentioned above) The Shorelines (A Pirate Themed Dungeon to obtain the Sea Goddess Roro Kidul level 113) Palace of the Night (118), Dragon Trials Floor 1 2 and 3 (Each Floor Boss can drop the key to the next floor, it is a content to prepare players for another game content that exists with the same name, but with the chance of getting very good loot on a daily basis) and since then have been added a few more 120 and 130 dungeon's and last a 140 Dungeon. as the game goes on, some Dungeon's like the older ones get a Revamp on there difficulty and loot, the Tower of Darkness's 2nd and 3rd floor were revamped into a 150 Area.
Guild and nation dungeons (see Community Features) are a special subset of independent dungeons in that they allow a large number of players to enter but only if these belong to the guild or nation that made entry to the dungeon possible by using a key.
On May 30, 2012 the first Raid Dungeon, Labyrinthos, was introduced to Atlantica Online with the 'Elements of War - Incursio' patch. All raid dungeons use the Tactical Battle System and in contrast to TBS missions no mercenaries are allowed. Up to 10 players can participate in the Labyrinthos raid dungeon, each with his or her main character only. The boss monster is extremely powerful so the fewer players attempt the dungeon the better their gear and coordination has to be.
While other battles in Atlantica Online do not require main characters to fill specific roles as is usual in many other MMORPGs like World of Warcraft the raid dungeons are designed for exactly this purpose. Tanks, healers and damage dealers are necessary to succeed. 
With the first part of the major 'Rise of Atlantis' content update, 'Awakening', another raid dungeon called 'Forgotten City' has been introduced on April 17, 2013. Up to 15 players can enter this dungeon.
The third raid dungeon in Atlantica Online is 'Centaur Hero' and was introduced shortly after with the second part of the 'Rise of Atlantis' update ('Ascension') on May 8, 2013.
On the most recent update to have a raid (The Mayan Hero) Came a new Mercenary (Quilla) which is the Astrologer, In her raid players can work to obtain her summon, and other great rewards from defeating the evil Riordan in his attempts of conquering the world.
Missions are objective-driven battles that use the Tactical Battle System and are held together by a storyline. All missions belong to a story arc, for instance the ones based on the Trojan Wars or on events surrounding the African legendary hero Mwindo. Every story arc has several missions attached to it.
Missions take place on unique maps that include script events and changing objectives such as escorting or protecting allied NPCs, destroying specific buildings or reaching a point on the map.
In addition to the usual rewards of battling NPCs (experience points and loot) players receive a generous amount of additional experience points and valuable treasure chests for completing a mission successfully.
Entering missions is limited by points that are reset weekly and can be increased on a daily basis by the player.
Missions were first introduced with the Troy story arc on August 17, 2010.
In difference to many other popular MMORPGs crafting in Atlantica Online happens simultaneously to fighting and is not a separate process. The game features a largely player-driven economy in which looting mobs normally yields inferior results to crafting and the subsequent process of enhancing the results via multiple different means. However, most materials needed for crafting are directly or indirectly acquired by fighting and looting mobs. This makes grinding for the pure value of loot rather inefficient and puts an emphasis on using the loot to craft something.
In contrast to 'drops' (loot) from NPCs the results of crafting can be of a higher quality level than usual.
A noteworthy feature distinguishing Atlantica Online from other MMORPGs is the players' ability to gamble the loot obtained in battles with mobs. This 'Jackpot System' adds a layer of unpredictability and chance to the process of gathering materials from mobs. The optional use of the Jackpot 'transmutes' (changes) different materials into a specific type. The outcome is influenced by some internal factors that are not readily available so trial and error is involved in finding a good combination of inputs and outputs. Some useful information has been gathered by the community. Depending on the choice of inputs and output the Jackpot will either generate a net profit or loss. The profit or loss also varies due to a random modifier.
My Home housing system
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (June 2013)|
'Housing' allows players to purchase a virtual home from a variety of styles and sizes.
Owning a house has multiple advantages for the player:
- A personal instanced area that can be filled with furniture and decoration.
- Players can station mercenaries in their home and can send them on expeditions. Expeditions automatically fight NPCs and then return to the home with their loot.
- Only house owners can throw feasts for their friends, guild and nation members. These parties provide a temporary, powerful buff to all who ate from the feast.
- Up to two resource facilities can be purchased and placed in front of the house. All players can gather special resources there that are not obtainable anywhere else in the game.
- Mercenaries can be employed to work in the house. Using the crafting system they produce goods on their own which the player can then use or sell.
- There are certain items that provide powerful passive buffs and can only be placed in a house.
Housing was introduced on August 17, 2010.
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (June 2013)|
Players of Atlantica Online can form guilds and nations. The latter are made up of guilds that have decided to work together.
Being member of a guild and nation offers the player several important advantages:
- Only members of a guild or nation can enter the special guild and nation dungeons, a subset of independent dungeons. The final reward for successfully completing these is sent to the guild or nation leader and will usually be distributed to the participants.
- Guilds bestow passive buffs on their members that grow stronger the higher level the guild is.
- Being member of a guild allows the player to use 'guild crafting'. Advantages over personal crafting include that the player does not need to meet requirements (like the level of a certain profession) and that all guild members will contribute towards guild crafting instead of just the player himself.
- Players can generate 'guild points' for their guild by participating in different aspects of the game.
- Members of a nation can player kill members of other nations in certain situations.
Other community-focused features include benefits for playing in a group or its larger type, a squad.
There is also a 'referral' system that offers advantages for both referrer and referee player. It is meant to provide new players with an experienced 'mentor' that can help them and answer their questions.
The North American English version, available worldwide, was first distributed by the USA subsidiary company NDOORS Interactive, Inc.. A closed beta version was made available to FilePlanet subscribers on July 15, 2008. The first phase of the open beta ended on July 28, 2008; the start of the second phase began on August 7, 2008. On October 30, 2008 at 11a.m. PDT, Atlantica Online ended its beta period and began its official run at 6p.m. PDT on October 30, 2008. NDOORS also launches Atlantica Online Germany, for European players, on the October 21. The closed Beta started on September 1 and ended after a month. The Chinese company The9 has obtained exclusive rights for distributing and operating Atlantica Online in China. Russian localized version open beta test started May 12, 2010 supported by Innova Systems company.
The Item Mall is a service provided by Nexon (NA/EU/KR/JP). In exchange for paying real money (not a virtual currency) via different possible ways like Paypal, direct debiting system or credit card players can obtain special virtual clothing, mounts, buffs etc.
In compliance with the definition of 'Free to Play' (F2P) using the service is purely voluntary. There are no restrictions on Main or mercenary classes, zones, professions, PvP or PvE content that need paying for to be removed. Most of the goods offered through the Item Mall are tradable for the virtual currency of the game thus enabling players who do not wish to pay real money to buy them as well.
This system offers the players total control over the economy, and make this games market fully player driven.
Major content updates
Atlantica's publisher and developer, NDOORS Interactive, regularly releases new content updates. Non-Korean servers generally receive the updates after the Korean servers. Additionally, while Korean servers receive many smaller updates, Ndoors usually combines the updates into fewer, but larger releases for the international servers. Updates include, for instance, new dungeons, quests, NPCs, skills, mercenaries, outfits, equipment, mounts, and community features while also adjusting the existing game experience such as improving PvP balance and the rate of obtaining experience points or specific loot, there are also regional specific contests and mercenary's designed in Europe, Russia, North America, Japan and other serviced or previously serviced regions.
Troy story arc
Implemented on August 17, 2010, the Troy Story Arc is a series of 'missions' following the format of the Tactical Battle System (TBS) that was introduced in the same patch. In each mission one or more players take part in a fantasy version of the Trojan War. The rewards include generous amounts of experience points and valuable chests containing loot.
Introduction of Atlantis
In April 2013, the first part of the major content update 'Rise of Atlantis' was released. May 2013 saw the second part and the third part is scheduled for June 2013. Previously with The Trojan War and the Romance of the Three Kingdom's reaching a great feedback from the players it was time to add in a new area, the Mythical region of Atlantis, which was divided by two, West and Eastern Atlantis.
This update was the most extensive to that date, introducing a new continent to explore (mythical Atlantis), new mercenary classes, new equipment, content and several changes to other features of the game.
Mayan Hero Story arc
Implemented on April 8, 2014, (Europe) the Mayan Hero Arc is the start of the new "Heroes" class line following the format of the Tactical Battle System (TBS) that was introduced previously in some raids and other more classic Content. In each mission one or more players take part in a fantasy version of the Ancient Mythology. The rewards can be very rewarding if the highest level of content is done. Future content to come will revolution the game, such as Whip using Mercenary's, a Corps Feature and other things that are planned/set to hit the Korean Servers in 2014 and early 2015.
Reception of Atlantica Online has been highly positive, receiving a number of awards in 2008. The game is acclaimed for its innovative turn-based battle system and its integration with community features. Danny Gourley of Ten Ton Hammer praised its gameplay, stating "it requires gamers to think a little instead of just mashing buttons". It has been selected as an official game for the Korean Game and Game World Championship for two years in a row (2008, 2009) the game still is up and running and shows no signs of breaking down content wise.
- "Best Free To Play Game of 2008", Ten Ton Hammer
- "2008 Best New Game" Nomination, (voted 3rd), MMORPG.com
- "Best Game", Korea Game Awards 2008
- "Golden Plume Award for Best Foreign Online Game", China Digital Entertainment Expo and Conference (ChinaJoy) 2008
- "Most Innovative Online Game", GameOgre's 2008 Online Game Awards
- "Top Free MMO of 2008", "Best Innovation in an MMO of 2008", "Best Gameplay in an MMO of 2008", Onrpg Member's Choice Awards 2008
- "Atlantica Online Credits". MobyGames. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Published Titles". Gamebryo. Retrieved 2015-01-04.
- "회사연혁 : 엔도어즈". NDOORS Corporation. 2012. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Atlantica Set for Official Launch". Nexon America Inc. 2008-10-28. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "『アトランティカ』正式サービス開始のお知らせ". Nexon Co., Ltd. 2008-11-25. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Atlantica Online Selected as Official Game of the Game & Game World Championship 2009". IGN Entertainment, Inc. 2009-05-06. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "The9 to begin Atlantica open beta test". China Daily Information Co. 2009-05-25. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Milestones". Asiasoft Corporation Public Company Limited. 2013. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Die Beta endet. Der Item-Shop startet.". Nexon Europe S.à r.l. 2009-11-19. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Fin de la seconde bêta et annonce de la version officielle". Nexon Europe S.à r.l. 2010-05-05. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Официальный запуск тактико-ролевой игры "Атлантика"". Innova Co. S.à rl. 2010-06-15. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Launching Item Mall (Archived)". PT. Kreon/Gemscool. 2010-06-18. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Atlantica Online se lanza hoy comercialmente". IDG Communications, S. A. U. 2010-11-23. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Lançamento Oficial (Archived)". Ignited Games Inc. 2011-05-30. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "New Heroes will rise – Atlantica Europe English". Nexon Europe S.à r.l. 2014-04-09. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Atlantica Online Review". Retrieved 2015-02-21.
- "Atlantica Online Interview - Part 1". IGN Entertainment, Inc. 2008-07-11. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "Troy, TBS and My Home patch notes". 2010-08-17. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "'Call of the Wild' Patch Notes". 2009-12-09. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "'Spelltower Siege' Patch Notes". 2011-09-07. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Elements of War - Incursio Patch Notes". 2012-05-30. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Rise of Atlantis, part 1, 'Awakening' patch notes". 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "Rise of Atlantis, part 2, 'Ascension' patch notes". 2013-05-18. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Closed Beta Press Release[dead link]
- "Atlantica Online beta phase 1 opens for FilePlanet subscribers". Atlantica.ndoorsgames.com. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "Re-opening of closed beta". Atlantica.ndoorsgames.com. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "Launch of the official game". Atlantica.ndoorsgames.com. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "The9 Limited Obtains Exclusive License to Operate Atlantica in Mainland China". Reuters.com. 2008-04-22. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "Mayan Hero Patch notes". 2010-08-17. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "GR Review". Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "alaTest Review". Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Ten Ton Hammer's Atlantica Online Review". Tentonhammer.com. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "Game and Game World Championship Website". Gamengame.com. 2010-11-21. Archived from the original on 8 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "2008 Best of F2P Awards". TenTonHammer.com. 2009-01-04. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Praise for Atlantica". atlantica.nexon.net. 2009-01-14. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- Suzie Ford (2008-11-18). "Atlantica Online Wins ChinaJoy Award". Warcry.com. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "GameOgre's 2008 Online Game Awards". Gameogre.com. Archived from the original on 11 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-30.
- "Onrpg Member's Choice Awards 2008". Onrpg.com. Retrieved 2011-05-30.