Atlantico

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Atlántico.

Atlantico is a French news website. Founded in March 2011 amid much media attention,[1][2][3][4][5] it quickly attracted notice for scoops related to scandals involving the Socialist politician and International Monetary Fund head, Dominique Strauss-Kahn.[6]

The website is inspired by the American websites The Huffington Post and The Daily Beast.[1][2] It characterizes its editorial position as "[classical] liberal and independent",[2][3] while other French media have associated it with the right wing of the French political spectrum,[1][3][6] a label rejected by Atlantico.[2][5]

51% of Atlantico's stock of one million euro[5] is held by its founders, the journalists Jean-Sébastien Ferjou, Pierre Guyot, Loïc Rouvin and Igor Daguier, and the remaining 49% by "Free Minds", a group of investors that includes Arnaud Dassier, a former campaign adviser to French president Nicolas Sarkozy.[6] As of 2011, the site does not charge for access and is financed through advertisements.[1] Its staff of about ten journalists also includes Gilles Klein, Anita Hausser, Christian de Villeneuve and Yves Derai,[5] and among its regular contributors are the writers Chantal Delsol, Paul-Marie Coûteaux, Gérard de Villiers, Guy Sorman and Tristane Banon.[6]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b c d "Pour Atlantico, cliquez à droite". Libération. 1 March 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2011. 
  2. ^ a b c d "Atlantico : un nouveau site d'info mis en ligne... droite". France Soir. 1 March 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2011. 
  3. ^ a b c "A la fois libéral et indépendant, Atlantico navigue entre deux eaux". 20 Minutes. 28 February 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2011. 
  4. ^ "Atlantico, nouveau "pure player" de l'info". Le Figaro. 1 March 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2011. 
  5. ^ a b c d "Sur Atlantico,"libéralisme n'est pas un gros mot"". France 2. 1 March 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2011. 
  6. ^ a b c d "Atlantico s'installe dans un paysage Internet plutôt marqué à gauche". Le Monde. 17 May 2011. Retrieved 17 May 2011. 

External links[edit]