Atlantis, The Palm
|Atlantis, The Palm|
|Hotel chain||Atlantis, The Palm|
|Location||The Palm, Dubai|
|Opening||September 24, 2008|
|Management||Kerzner International Resorts|
|Design and construction|
|Developer||Kerzner International Resorts|
|Number of rooms||1,539|
|Number of suites||Suites (Regal, Terrace, Executive)
Super Suites (Royal Bridge, Grand Atlantis, Underwater, Presidential)
|Number of restaurants||Ossiano, Nobu, Platos, Ronda Locatelli, Kaleidoscope, Asia Republic, Saffron, The Edge The Shore, Shark Bites, Splashers and Waves, Seafire Steakhouse, Levantine, Nasimi Beach, Rostang, Barazura, TBJ, The Shore, The Edge and waterpark restaurants|
Atlantis, The Palm is a resort located on Dubai’s reclaimed artificial island The Palm. It was the first resort to be built on the island and is based on the myth of Atlantis  includes distinct Arabian elements. The resort opened on September 24, 2008 as a joint venture between Kerzner International Holdings Limited and Istithmar.
The resort has two accommodation wings, also referred to as the Royal Towers, consisting of the East and the West Tower, both linked together by the Royal Bridge Suite. The resort’s comprises 1,500 guestrooms and suites with private balconies and views over The Palm and the Persian Gulf. The Imperial Club has over 150 rooms and suites with exclusive services and a private club lounge and views of the Arabian Sea or The Palm and Dubai skyline.
The Royal Bridge Suite, spanning the Royal Towers, is 22 stories up with views of The Palm, Dubai and the Persian Gulf. The two Underwater Suites are each three stories high with views directly into the Ambassador Lagoon.
Atlantis, The Palm, opened on 24 September 2008 as a joint venture between Kerzner International Holdings Limited and Istithmar. In April 2012, Istithmar acquired Kerzner’s 50 percent stake in the property for USD 250 million. The property continues to be managed by Kerzner International Resorts.
The 46 ha (110 acres) five-star resort includes attractions for children and adults. The entire attraction is a 17 ha (42 acres) water park with seven water slides and a 2.3-kilometre river ride consisting of rides with cascades, tidal waves and rapids, and the Mesopotamian-styled Ziggurat temple reaching over 30 metres into the sky and featuring seven water slides two of which catapult riders through shark filled lagoons, which is called as The Lost Chambers. It is an underwater exhibit with over 65,000 fish and sea creatures including The Ambassador Lagoon. which is an 11-million-litre marine habitat, with a viewing panel looking into the mystical ruins of Atlantis that is Dolphin Bay, a 4.5- hectare dolphin education and conservation center allows guests the opportunity to meet and interact with dolphins.
The resort has a stretch of beach, 1,900 m2 (20,000 sq ft) of retail space with boutiques, spa, fitness, meeting, and function spaces.
Atlantis, The Palm has over 20 dining restaurants including three world renowned chef restaurants:
- Nobu is the restaurant that chef Nobu Matsuhisa created to redefine Japanese cuisine. The menu is complemented by a sushi bar and a wood burning oven.
- At Ronda Locatelli, Giorgio Locatelli has created a restaurant that blends the charm of an Italian countryside with the modernity of Dubai.
- Rostang is a Brasserie created by Michelle Rostang that offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a French brasserie featuring a French patisserie. The menu includes the signature Pate en Croute.
After the construction of the hotel carried out by Laing O'Rourke it was officially opened on 24 September 2008. Some guests who attended the event included Charlize Theron, Shah Rukh Khan, Robert De Niro, Janet Jackson, Lily Allen, Amit Kumar, Mischa Barton, Chris Tucker, Michael Jordan, Wesley Snipes, Andrea Colognoli, and Lindsay Lohan. Priyanka Chopra was chosen as the Goddess of Atlantis to inaugurate the resort. Australian diva Kylie Minogue performed her debut concert alongside Lebanese singer Nawal Al Zoghbi at the event.
As part of the opening, a light show of moving images was illuminated onto the hotel. 100,000 fireworks, around seven times the amount that were used for the opening ceremony of the 2008 Beijing Olympics, were let off, lasting 15 minutes.
The display of spectacular fireworks across the full 5 kilometers stretch of The Palm, lit up the entire island and Atlantis, The Palm. Custom-made shells shipped in from across the globe, created a light spectacle taking off from the 716 firing locations around the island, including 400 balconies at the resort. Display creator Fireworks by Grucci claims the display set a new world record, but records curator Guinness World Records has yet to announce the status.
- A task in the sixth leg of The Amazing Race 15 took place at its water park. The 14 team members had to slide down the resort's Leap of Faith water slide, which dropped them along 200 ft and 90 ft down an 84° incline and through a tunnel beneath the aquarium's shark lagoon. After retrieving the clue at the bottom of the exit pool, teams had to search the water park for a beach located near a lagoon, which was the sixth pit stop in the race. However, only 13 team members made it down the slide, as one of the team members, Mika was afraid of heights and water, and she and Canaan were eliminated.
- In 2009, an episode of The X Factor was partially filmed at the hotel, with Dannii Minogue using it to choose which female contestants joined her in the live shows.
- In the video game Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, mission 7 takes place in Dubai, in which one can fly through the hotel gates to get the achievement. The achievement will give 10 Gamer score points to the player on Xbox 360 and a bronze trophy on PlayStation 3.
One of the roof designs. The hotel has seven ceiling murals by Evans & Brown, a decorative painting studio based in San Francisco, California.
- Atlantis, The Palm at Emporis
- Atlantis, The Palm at SkyscraperPage
- Atlantis, The Palm at Structurae
- http://www.atlantisthepalm.com Atlantis
- Ahmed Hussein (Tuesday, November 25, 2008). "Landmark project Atlantis, The Palm officially launched amidst grand ceremony". EstatesDubai. Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- http://www.atlantisthepalm.com/marineandwaterpark/aquaventure.aspx Aquaventure Waterpark
- CW Staff (10 June 2010). "UK giant Laing O'Rourke denies ME withdrawal". Construction Weekly. Retrieved 31 March 2010.
- http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/atlantis-fireworks-display-seeks-place-in-guinness-book-1.17275 Atlantis fireworks display seeks place in Guinness Book of World Records
- Kho, Nancy Davis (January 5, 2011). "Evans & Brown murals commissioned worldwide". The San Francisco Chronicle.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Atlantis.|
- Atlantis, The Palm Official Site