Atlantis (TV series)
|Created by||Johnny Capps
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1 (2nd confirmed)|
|No. of episodes||13 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Johnny Capps
|Running time||44-45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Urban Myth Films|
|Original channel||BBC One|
|Original run||28 September 2013– present|
|BBC show website|
Atlantis (extended in promotional material as Atlantis: The Legend Begins) to is a British fantasy-adventure television programme, inspired by Greek mythology (particularly the theory of Atlantis) and created and executive produced by Johnny Capps (Merlin and Sugar Rush), Julian Murphy (Merlin and Sugar Rush) and Howard Overman (Misfits and Vexed), which first aired in the UK on 28 September 2013.
On 26 October 2013, BBC One ordered a second series of Atlantis.
- Jack Donnelly as Jason (13 episodes)
- Mark Addy as Hercules (13 episodes)
- Robert Emms as Pythagoras (13 episodes)
- Jemima Rooper as Medusa (8 episodes)
- Sarah Parish as Pasiphaë (8 episodes)
- Juliet Stevenson as the Oracle (8 episodes)
- Aiysha Hart as Ariadne (9 episodes)
- Alexander Siddig as King Minos (8 episodes)
- Oliver Walker as Heptarian (7 episodes)
- Joe Dixon as Ramos (5 episodes)
- Hannah Arterton as Korinna (4 episodes)
- Ken Bones as Melas (4 episodes)
- Lou Broadbent as Ione (3 episodes)
Announced on 11 February 2013, Atlantis was created to fill the gap left behind by Merlin, a show that was created and produced by Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy. This duo, plus Misfits creator Howard Overman, produced Atlantis through their new company Urban Myth Films. Executive producer for BBC Cymru Wales was Bethan Jones. The drama series was commissioned by Ben Stephenson, Controller of BBC Drama, and Danny Cohen, Controller of BBC One. The cast was announced on 27 March 2013.
The series is filmed in Wales and Morocco. A 155,000sq ft warehouse, a former cold store building near Chepstow, was converted into a vast TV studio to house the sets and filming of Atlantis. The first series was filmed between 1 April 2013 and 1 November 2013.
On 22 July 2013, BBC America announced that the channel is co-producing Atlantis, and the show will be broadcast in the US in autumn 2013 as part of "Supernatural Saturday." Since this date the series has been promoted using a viral marketing campaign, with official accounts on Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook. On 9 August 2013, the first poster for the series was revealed and on 16 August 2013 the first teaser trailer for the series, aired on BBC One. A week later on 23 August, a second teaser was shown where Jason (Jack Donnelly) appears. On 29 August four new teasers were released featuring Jack Donnelly, Juliet Stevenson, Mark Addy and Robert Emms. On 7 September the first promotional pictures of the cast were revealed and on the same day, the first trailer for the series was aired before Strictly Come Dancing on BBC One. A week before the first episode, on 21 September, the first clip from the opening episode was released.
On 26 October 2013, the BBC confirmed that a second series had been commissioned.
|Canada||Space||12 October 2013|
|United States||BBC America||23 November 2013|
|France||Canal+||16 February 2014|
|Australia||Fox8||30 March 2014|
- "About the Show". BBC America. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- Seat42f. "Atlantis Renewed For Second Season". Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Cast announced for BBC One's Atlantis". BBC Media Centre. 27 March 2013. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- Byrne, Craig (28 July 2013). "BBC America's Atlantis: More Details From The Press Tour". KSiteTV. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "BBC One programme information". Retrieved 24 September 2013.
- Wilson, Mark (1 April 2013). "Misfits Writer and Merlin Team Try Raising Atlantis". About.com. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "TV series 'to rival Doctor Who' will be filmed at Chepstow TV studio". South Wales Argus. 14 March 2013. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- BBC AMERICA To Co-Produce New Series Atlantis For Supernatural Saturday
- Mysterious Messages From Atlantis, Dave Golder, SFX, 24 July 2013.
- 'Atlantis': First poster for BBC's new 'Merlin' replacement, Alex Fletcher, Digital Spy, 9 August 2013.
- BBC One Releases An Atlantis Teaser Promo, Craig Byrne, KSiteTV News, 16 August 2013.
- BBC’s Atlantis: New Teaser Trailer, sfx, http://www.sfx.co.uk, 23 August 2013.
- New Atlantis teaser trailers, Louisa Mellor, Den of Geek, 29 August 2013.
- 'Atlantis' character pics gallery, sfx, http://www.sfx.co.uk, 7 September 2013.