Atlantis Plastics shooting
|Atlantis Plastics shooting|
Wesley Neal Higdon
|Location||Henderson, Kentucky, United States|
|Date||Wednesday, June 25, 2008
c. 12:00 a.m. (CDT)
|Mass murder, murder-suicide|
|Weapons||Hi-Point .45 ACP .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol|
|Deaths||6 (including the perpetrator)|
|Perpetrator||Wesley Neal Higdon|
The Atlantis Plastics shooting was an incident of mass murder that took place at an Atlantis Plastics factory in Henderson, Kentucky, United States on June 25, 2008. The gunman, 25-year-old Wesley Neal Higdon, shot and killed five people and critically injured a sixth person before taking his own life. The shooting is the worst in the history of Henderson County, Kentucky in terms of casualties, surpassing triple homicides occurring in 1799 and 1955.
Henderson police said that the shooter, who had a reputation for being difficult, had argued with supervisor Kevin Taylor and was being escorted out of the factory by the supervisor. The shooter apparently retrieved a handgun, shot the supervisor, then went back into the factory and shot five co-workers before turning the gun on himself. Subsequent reports indicate that Taylor had reprimanded Higdon twice before the shooting, once for talking on his cell phone too much and for not wearing safety glasses, then later for an altercation with co-worker Joshua Hinojosa at a convenience store across the street from the factory.
The victims were all shot with a Hi-Point .45 ACP .45-caliber pistol. Taylor was apparently shot by Higdon outside the factory, then four more workers in the factory's break room, and finally Hinojosa from behind on the factory floor. Higdon then committed suicide.
- Wesley Neal Higdon, gunman, 25, of Henderson
- Joshua Hinojosa, co-worker, 28, of Sebree
- Trisha Mirelez, co-worker, 25, of Sebree
- Israel Monroy, co-worker, 29, of Henderson
- Kevin G. Taylor, supervisor, 40, of Dixon
- Rachael Vasquez, co-worker, 26, of Sebree
- Noelia Monroy, co-worker, of Henderson
- "6 dead in Henderson, Ky., plastics plant shooting". CNN. 2008-06-25.[dead link]
- Lenz, Ryan (2008-06-25). "Police: Plant shooter kills 5 co-workers, then self". Associated Press.[dead link]
- Smith, Beth (2008-06-26). "Rampage at Atlantis Plastics ends with six dead". Henderson Gleaner.
- Goldman, Russell (2008-06-25). "Six Killed in Factory Shooting, Including Gunman". ABC News.
- Riley, Jason (2008-06-25). "Factory rampage that kills 6 may have been planned". The Courier-Journal.
- Conlon, Michael (2008-06-25). "Six dead in Kentucky factory shooting". Reuters.
- Boyett, Frank (2008-06-26). "Shooting worst homicide here". Henderson Gleaner.