|Headquarters||Cambridge, MA, United States|
|Products||venture capital funds|
|Total assets||$3 billion|
Number of employees
Atlas Venture is an early-stage venture capital firm that invests in technology and life sciences startup companies in both the U.S. and Europe. Atlas is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. In October 2014 Atlas Venture announced its technology and life sciences franchises plan to split. 
Since its inception in 1980, Atlas has invested in over 350 companies in more than 16 different countries. Among the firm's most notable exits are Isilon Systems, Trading Dynamics, Actelion, Novexel, OnDisplay, Omnia, Phase Forward, Adnexus, Element 14, Momenta, SolidWorks, Spotfire, Castle Networks, and DailyMotion. A sample of current investments include Bit9, CustomMade, DataXu, Globoforce, Hopper, Jenavalve, Mojo Motors, Inc., Nimbus Discovery, Skillz, sqrrl, Veracode, Zafgen and Zoopla.
The firm has raised over $3.0 billion of investor commitments across its nine venture capital funds. The firm raised $705 million for its 2000-vintage fifth fund, $600 million for its 2001-vintage sixth fund, $385 million for its 2006-vintage seventh fund, and $283 million for its 2009-vintage eighth fund. The firm is currently investing from its ninth fund which closed in early 2013 with $265 million of capital.
In 2009, Atlas significantly consolidated its investment operations and has been a proponent of the lean start-up approach. At its largest, the firm had offices on the West Coast as well as in Europe. Today, the firm operates from a single office in Cambridge, Massachusetts. 
In 2014, Atlas' technology team launched two initiatives Maiden Lane, an investment platform built to invest in AngelList Syndicates, and Boston Syndicates, an investment program that sponsors investments made by New England based angels.
In April 2015, Atlas closed its tenth fund at $280 million. It was also announced that they were switching over to biotech only.
- Exclusive: Atlas Venture is splitting up. Fortune, October 2, 2014
- Atlas Venture Closes New Fund with $283M, Does the Staffing Shuffle. XConomy, January 2009
- Atlas Venture aims for new $500M fund. Mass High Tech, November 6, 2008
- Atlas Venture Raises Ninth Fund. Fortune, May 2013
- Atlas Venture leads VCs in investing in local start ups. Boston Business Journal, May 17, 2013
- Atlas Venture ups sticks to Boston. Tech Crunch Europe, January 19, 2010
- Atlas Brings Its European Ops Back to Boston. New York Times DealBook, January 20, 2010
- Exclusive: Maiden Lane launches to back AngelList syndicates. Fortune, March 13, 2014
- Atlas Creates Boston Syndicates to Boost Local Startups. Bloomberg, September 29, 2014
- Keshavan, Meghana. "With new $280M fund, Atlas Venture cuts the IT and “right-sizes” to biotech". MedCity News. Retrieved 17 April 2015.
|This article about a private equity or venture capital firm based in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|