Atomic Skull (Michaels) versus Superman,
artist Rich Buckler
(Michaels as Atomic Skull I)
Adventures of Superman #483
October 1991 (Martin as Atomic Skull II)
Action Comics #670
|Alter ego||- Albert Michaels
- Joseph Martin
Secret Society of Super Villains
Secret Society of Super Villains
Seizure-generated atomic "brain-blasts"
Superhuman strength, agility, and endurance
- 1 Fictional character biography
- 2 Powers and abilities
- 3 Other versions
- 4 In other media
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Fictional character biography
Albert Michaels was a brilliant but distinctly unfriendly scientist-administrator at S.T.A.R. Labs with a rare nervous system disorder that short-circuited the electrical impulses in his brain, creating painful and uncontrollable seizures. When he could not find a cure, he secretly contacted the criminal organization SKULL, and they implanted him with a radium-powered device designed to harness his neural disorder into deadly atomic "brain-blasts" in exchange for him becoming their agent. However, these mental blasts were difficult to control and only made his condition worse, a situation he blamed on Superman after the Man of Steel captured the only SKULL scientists who could have cured him. Swearing revenge, the evil genius donned his distinctive yellow and green costume with its visored cowl-topped skull mask and eventually became the organization's leader, flying around in a sleek skull-shaped hovercraft of his own design assisted by his similarly costumed lover Felicia who was a panther he had artificially evolved into human form.
Following Crisis on Infinite Earths, Michaels made one appearance, battling Thunder and Lightning in Teen Titans Spotlight. It is assumed his background has not changed, although instead of being diagnosed with a nervous disorder, it was said that his powers came because he sought immortality and presumably mutated himself. It is not known if he ever fought the Post-Crisis version of Superman before as his first (Post-Crisis) appearance was in Captain Atom, yet his history with S.T.A.R. Labs and SKULL remained as established in The DC Comics Encyclopedia.
The New 52
When a S.T.A.R. Labs sub crashes far below the surface of the ocean, one of its scientists is exposed to experimental radiation. He is washed to shore, with memories of the life he had, and the woman he loved and lost. Alone on a desert island, he fights to survive, eating the local, tropical vegetation. When a leopard finds and attacks him, he unexpectedly emits a blast of radiation that vaporizes the feline's body. Eventually, he learns to use this power to his benefit, killing animals for food, and blasting away holes in the rock faces for shelter. The radiation soon takes its toll on him, as he remembers how he had caught his wife flirting with someone at a dance club and murdered her in a jealous rage. In anger, he destroys most of the island. His face, meanwhile, practically melts away, revealing his radioactive skull. 
Student Joseph Martin was struck by an intense blast of energy from the Dominators' gene-bomb that gave him superhuman strength and caused his flesh to become invisible. Later attacked by some thugs, the resulting brain damage caused insanity, and he took on the guise of "The Atomic Skull" who was a hero from an old movie serial that he loved. He also emitted dangerous amounts of radiation, later gaining the ability to project it as energy blasts. He has plagued Superman, whom he believed to be the serial's villain Doctor Electron, and Lois Lane, whom he saw as the Skull's love interest, Zelda Wentworth.
He was later given enhanced powers by the demon Neron in exchange for his soul. Cured of his delusions, he at first intended to follow the character's example for real as a superhero, but has since appeared as a more conventional villain.
He is killed in battle by the Maximums, an alternate reality superhero team, but is later seen alive in the pages of Action Comics, assuming Mr. Mxyzptlk reversed his death along with other events having to do with the Maximums.
The New 52
Powers and abilities
The original Atomic Skull, Albert Michaels can deliver powerful energy bolts through the visor of his mask. The energy blasts have been described as powerful brainwaves, heat vision, & atomic blasts throughout the years. Aside from his energy attacks, Michaels is also the head of the SKULL organization and a brilliant scientist.
Joseph Martin has superhuman strength, agility and endurance, greater than that of Superboy, Conner Kent and is comparable to the likes of Superman & Mon-El. He can also produce purple atomic blasts from his hands and mouth for long range attacks and use the same energy to power up his already impressive physical strength to a higher degree.
The Atomic Skull is the name of Joseph Martin's favorite hero from a (fictional) 12-episode movie serial made by National Film Studios in 1936. The serial stars Lawrence Dennis (according to Superman Villains Secret Files) as the titular character. This Atomic Skull was originally government agent Joe Martin who investigated the evil Doctor Electron and was transformed into the hideous Atomic Skull by one of Electron's inventions. Despite that, he and Zelda Wentworth, Electron's daughter (played by actress Eleanor Hart, whom Lois Lane has a passing resemblance to), fell in love. Battling Electron and his minions (such as Rocketman) with his heat ray eye-blasts, the Atomic Skull eventually destroyed the mad scientist's plans and returned to normal. The fictional character from the serial is visually identical to the pre-Crisis version.
In a story featuring the reality-altering villain Dominus recreating various pre-Crisis Superman continuities, the supposed Golden Age Atomic Skull was first introduced. He was Lawrence Dennis, an actor and Nazi sympathizer who used his reputation as the hero of the Curse of the Atomic Skull serial as a platform to promote Nazism.
Superman: Red Son
In other media
- Albert Michaels appeared in the 1988 Superman animated series episode "Fugitive from Space". He is not shown as Atomic Skull, only as a scientist at S.T.A.R. Labs, also an undercover agent of SKULL.
- The Joseph Martin version of the Atomic Skull appears in Justice League Unlimited voiced by Lex Lang. He first appears in "The Cat and the Canary" as Wildcat's main opponent at Roulette's Meta-Brawl until Green Arrow and Black Canary interrupted the match. In "I Am Legion," Atomic Skull later returns as a member of Gorilla Grodd's Secret Society. In the episodes "Alive" and "Destroyer," he sides with Luthor during the mutiny during the two-part series finale. He is found among the survivors of Darkseid's attack. He and Luthor insist that the surviving villains help the heroes during the defense of Earth against the forces of Apokolips. He fights alongside Hawkgirl and Commander Steel in Washington DC. He is last seen taking advantage of the "five-minute head start" the Justice League grants the surviving villains at the end of the final episode (notably he is the one who vocally opposes being arrested after helping save the world from Darkseid's forces).
- The Albert Michaels version of Atomic Skull appears in the Young Justice episode "Revelation." He is seen as a member of the Injustice League and is mainly used to power Poison Ivy's plant creature.
- The Joseph Martin Atomic Skull appears in Superman vs. The Elite voiced by Dee Bradley Baker. He appears in the film's opening, killing random civilians in order to get Superman's attention. They brawl around the city, eventually culminating in Atomic Skull's defeat after Superman throws him into a large pond. Later on he is seen in Stryker's Island, being used to power the prison in a manner similar to the Flash villain Fallout. He soon escapes by overloading the generator before running rampant throughout Metropolis. He is soon confronted by the combined forces of Superman and The Elite, who manage to defeat Skull through Coldcast absorbing Atomic Skull's radiation, but with massive collateral damage. At this point The Elite's leader, Manchester Black, plans to execute Atomic Skull himself, leaving the decision up to the son of a professor who was killed by Atomic Skull and a vehement Superman supporter. The boy votes for Skull's death and Manchester Black executes Atomic Skull to the cheer of the watching crowd.
- The Albert Michaels version of Atomic Skull appeared as one of the primary villains in a special Free Comic Book Day day tie-in for the Young Justice cartoon. He and Psycho Pirate attack a STAR Labs facility in order to steal some plutonium, but Atomic Skull is forced to retreat after the members of Young Justice reclaim the plutonium and capture Psycho Pirate.
- Birds of Prey #110, November, 2007
- Villains United #5
- Action Comics Annual (Volume 2) #1
- Greenberger, Robert (2008), "Atomic Skull", in Dougall, Alastair, The DC Comics Encyclopedia, London: Dorling Kindersley, p. 31, ISBN 0-7566-4119-5
- Underworld Unleashed #1
- Superman/Batman #21
- Action Comics #853
- Manhunter (vol. 2) #31
- Justice Society of America (vol. 3) #29
- Justice League of America (vol. 2) #41
- Deathstroke #4
- Superman: The Essential Guide to the Man of Steel, p. 100
- Superman: Red Son #3
- Flashpoint: Legion of Doom #1 (June 2011)