Atotonilco El Alto
|Atotonilco El Alto|
|Municipality and city|
Location of the municipality in Jalisco
|• Total||638.15 km2 (246.39 sq mi)|
Atotonilco (pronounced ah-toh-toh-NEAL-co) means "place of hot waters", in Náhuatl. "El Alto"("The High One") was later added in honor of those who died in the Cristero War in the early 1920s.
As of 2005, the municipality had a total population of 51,798.
The first foundation of the town occurred in 1528, by the monarch Purepecha Tzintzincha Caltzonzin. The conquest of this region was conducted in June 1530 by Nuño de Guzmán. His first gift was encomendero Martin del Campo and its Evangelization in charge of Franciscan Friars. Atotonilco in 1551 was given in the commends conquistador Andrés de Villanueva. Atotonilco in 1551 was given in encomienda to conquistador Andrés de Villanueva. In November 1824, the State Congress, provided that the people of Atotonilco hereafter have title of town and also became the head of department and including Arandas Ayo el Chico. In November 1824, Congress of State, ruled that the village of Atotonilco hereafter have title of town and also became the head of department and including Arandas and Ayotlán. Subsequently, May 15, 1868 to be governor of Jalisco Antonio Gómez Cuervo, which ruled that the population of the High Atotonilco becomes city category conserved to date. Subsequently, the 15th of May 1868 to be governor of Jalisco Antonio Gómez Cuervo, which ruled that the population of the city becomes High Atotonilco category conserved to date.
Atotonilco El Alto municipality
has 112 towns of Milpillas, Atotonilco El Alto, La Santa Rosa, La Cofradia, San Francisco de Asís, Santa Elena, La Guadalupana, San Joaquin, El, Ojo de Agua de Morán, El Agua Caliente, El Nacimiento, San Jose del Valle, San Joaquin, San Antonio de Fernandez, Nuevo Valle, Margaritas, La Purisma, Los Adobes and mores.
Facts about Atotonilco El Alto, Jalisco
- Most played sport: Futbol and Charreria
- One of the best selling products are: Tequila.
- The holy patroness of Atotonilco El Alto is Our Lady of Los Altos.
- This was one of the places in highlands of Jalisco where the Cristero War took place during the 1920s.
- Most Imported products from Atotonilco El Alto are Tequila Don Julio, Rompope Atotonilli  and Tequila 7 Leguas Blanco.
- Atotonilco El Alto has most beautiful Spanish Colonial houses and hacienda.
- The people from here are considered the most beautiful in Mexico, based on many Miss Universe contestants hailing from this city. 
- A 12 meter mural of an overlook of the town of Atotonilco is on display at Tacolicious restaurant, Palo Alto, California.
- Maria Luisa de la Pena, Mexican Roman Catholic nun and Founder of Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles.
- José Trinidad Sepúlveda Ruiz-Velasco, Bishop of San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco.
- General Enrique Gorostieta was killed here during the Cristero War.
- "Atotonilco El Alto". Enciclopedia de los Municipios de México. Instituto Nacional para el Federalismo y el Desarrollo Municipal. Retrieved April 13, 2009.
- "Rompope Atotonilli". product Eggnog ATOTONILLI from Atotonilco El Alto. Owner of Company. Retrieved present. Check date values in: