1,350 combined with Achomawi (2000)
|Regions with significant populations|
traditional tribal religion
|Related ethnic groups|
The Atsugewi are Native Americans residing in northeastern California, United States. Their traditional lands are near Mount Shasta, specifically the Pit River drainage on Burney, Hat, and Dixie Valley or Horse Creeks. They are closely related to the Achomawi and consisted of two groups (the Atsugé and the Apwaruge). The Atsugé ("pine-tree people") traditionally are from the Hat Creek area, and the Apwaruge ("juniper-tree people") are from the Dixie Valley. They lived to the south of the Achomawi.
The Atsugewi traditionally lived by hunting and gathering and lived in small groups without centralized political authority.
Estimates for the pre-contact populations of most native groups in California have varied substantially. Alfred L. Kroeber estimated the combined 1770 population of the Achumawi and Atsugewi as 3,000. A more detailed analysis by Fred B. Kniffen arrived at the same figure. T. R. Garth (1978:237) estimated the Atsugewi population at a maximum of 850.
Kroeber estimated the combined population of the Achumawi and Astugewi in 1910 as 1,100. The population was given as about 500 in 1936.
See also 
- "Atsugewi." Ethnologue. Retrieved 20 Dec 2011.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes, Third Edition. (New York: Checkmark Books, 2006) p. 2
- California Indians and Their Reservations: S. San Diego State University Library and Information Access. 2009 (retrieved 27 June 2010)
- Kroeber, Alfred L (1925). Handbook of the Indians of California. Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin. No. 78. Washington, D.C. p. 883.
- Kniffen (1928)
- Garth, T. R. Atsugewi. In Handbook of North American Indians, William C. Sturtevant, general editor, vol. 8, California, edited by Robert F. Heizer, pp. 236-243. Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1978. p. 237
- Golla, Victor. California Indian Languages. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2011. ISBN 978-0-520-26667-4.
- Kniffen, Fred B. Achomawi Geography. University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology 23:297-332, 1928.