Attenborough railway station
|Managed by||East Midlands Trains|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|1 December 1856||Station opens as Attenborough Gate|
|1 November 1858||Station closes|
|1 September 1864||Station reopens as Attenborough|
|19 April 1937||Station renamed Chilwell|
|27 September 1937||Station renamed Attenborough|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Attenborough from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Built as a halt known as Attenborough Gate in 1856 on the Midland Counties Railway line from Nottingham to Derby which had opened in 1839, the station opened next to a level crossing and tickets were bought from the crossing keeper.
The station on the present site was built by the Midland Railway in 1864; the Gate suffix was dropped and the name became Attenborough.
During World War I that station had its platforms extended as it was used as an interchange for soldiers heading for Chetwynd Barracks.
In April 1937 the station was renamed Chilwell, but this change was reverted in September 1937.
The signal box survived until at least 1982 but is now demolished.
It is an unstaffed station having lost its station buildings and staff in the early 1990s. Following a rebuild of the platforms in 2005 the station has no architectural remains from any earlier station except parts of the footbridge.
The footbridge was replaced in 2007 receiving a new steel deck and stairways. The blue brick towers, which support the bridge, were retained.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|East Midlands Trains
|East Midlands Trains|
- Higginson, M, (1989) The Midland Counties Railway: A Pictorial Survey, Derby: Midland Railway Trust.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Station on navigable O.S. map