Attica Zoological Park
Attica Zoological Park
|Land area||20 ha (49 acres)|
|Number of animals||2000|
|Number of species||400|
Attica Zoological Park, is a 20-hectare (49-acre) private zoo located in the Athens suburb of Spata, Greece. The zoo is home to about 2000 animals representing 400 species, and is open 365 days per year.
Attica Zoological Park is a member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA).
World of reptiles was added in April 2001, followed by Greek fauna in 2002, the African Savannah exhibit (with zebras and giraffes) in 2003, a cat exhibit and expansion of the African Savannah exhibit in 2004, a monkey exhibit in 2005, Land of the Cheetah, a chimpanzee and gibbon exhibit, and a Somalia exhibit (with camels and donkeys) in 2008.
In 2005, the zoo began to run daily shows featuring birds of prey. In 2010 the zoo began shows with its newly installed dolphinarium showing sea-lions and dolphins.
Future plans include a museum of evolution with its primary focus on dinosaurs, and an aquarium.
In June 2010 the dolphinarium started working with shows by sea lions and dolphins. There were initially four dolphins bought from the Lithuanian Marine Institute, then seven more were added from the same source. The Greek Green Party took Attica Zoological Park to court claiming animal welfare issues in 2011. In April 2011, a Provisional Order was issued by the Athens Court temporarily prohibiting the operation of the dolphinarium. BBC has sent a correspondent to cover the story  and the controversy has been presented in an article by author Lauren St.John in The Sunday Times. In August 2011, the Greek court issued a decision declaring itself not competent to pass judgement on the case. Although the zoo claimed that the case in question has been decided permanently and that the company has been vindicated, this decision only addresses the ability of this particular court to decide the issue.
- "History of the Park". atticapark.com. Attica Zoological Park. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "Zoo". atticapark.com. Attica Zoological Park. Archived from the original on 19 November 2010. Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "EAZA Member Zoos & Aquariums". eaza.net. EAZA. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Greek Green Party Announces Prohibition Of Dolphin Shows". wdcs.org. WDCS International. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- "BBC - Greek dolphin park prompts animal welfare row". BBC. Archived from the original on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- Saint, John (20 March 2011). "Dolphins: Blood in the water". timesplus.co.uk. The Sunday Times. Retrieved 19 May 2012. (requires login)
- "Our Fight to Save the Dolphins at Attica Zoological Park in Greece Continues". ecogreens-gr.org. Greek Green Party. 22 September 2011. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Attica Zoological Park.|