||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
1 June 1926 |
Portsmouth, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom
His grandparents were from Kiev and escaped the Russian pogroms, arriving in London in about 1890. The family moved to Portsmouth at the turn of the 20th century. Morris was one of nine children born to Morry and Becky Morris. An elder brother, Wolfe Morris, was also an accomplished actor.
Morris has starred in over fifty films, including Woody Allen's Love and Death (1975), Ken Russell's Lisztomania (1975), and Gene Wilder's The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother (1977). He has been in many television programmes since the late-1950s. Although most of his television appearances have been in Britain, such as Z Cars and Lovejoy, he has also made some appearances in U.S. programmes, such as a 1998 Columbo movie titled Ashes to Ashes. Morris has managed to star in a significant number of shows and films that are regarded by many as cult classics. Together with the character he played (usually present in just one episode in the case of television series), these include:
- City Beneath the Sea (1962)— Professor Ludwig Ziebrecken, a meglomaniac who sees himself as the leader of a 'New World Order'
- The Sandwich Man (1966)—Cedric, the escapologist
- Up the Junction (1968)—Creely, an estate agent
- A Clockwork Orange (1971)—P.R. Deltoid, the pederastic youth worker charged with the task of keeping Alex out of trouble
- Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971)—Doctor Putnam
- The Wicker Man (1973)—Gravedigger/gardener
- Ripping Yarns—Episode 6—Grosvenor, the butler who likes 'the naughty books'
- 1981 BBC TV adaptation of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy—the dimwitted Golgafrinchan captain who was eternally taking a bath
- The Prisoner—Town crier
- The Saint—(S03E02)—Pebbles
- The Avengers—Quince
- Babylon 5—(S03E07)—Duncan
- Danger Man—Fortunato Santos in one episode, Tamasio in another
- The Sweeney—Foreign Gambler, episode; Stoppo Driver, his brother Wolfe Morris also appeared in the same episode.
- Space: 1999—Petros High Priest
- Afternoon of a Nymph
- On the Buses—Marriage guidance counsellor
- Visioneers—Old Jeffers
- Lifeforce—Sir Percy Heseltine