Auburn Municipal Airport (California)
|Auburn Municipal Airport|
|FAA Airport Diagram|
|IATA: AUN – ICAO: KAUN – FAA LID: AUN|
|Owner/Operator||City of Auburn|
|Location||3 mi (5 km) North of downtown|
|Elevation AMSL||1,536 ft / 468 m|
|Auburn Municipal Airport,|
Auburn Municipal Airport (IATA: AUN, ICAO: KAUN, FAA LID: AUN) is a public airport located three miles (5 km) north of Auburn, serving Placer County, California, USA. The airport is mostly used for general aviation.
The City of Auburn owns and operates the airport. The federal government built the airport in 1934 and used it to support mail service until 1946. In 1947, local residents worked to transfer the airport to the city from the federal government and private land owners.
Services include air ambulance, aviation fuel, flight instruction, private charters & rentals, repairs & maintenance, a restaurant, and scenic tours. Private businesses provide these services.
On 30 August 2009, a wildfire named the 49 Fire started southwest of the airport and spread north and east. The fire forced officials to close the airport for a couple days. The fire burned 343 acres (1.39 km2) including the airport's western portion (right up to the runway).
Auburn Municipal Airport covers 285 acres (115 ha) and has one runway:
- Runway 7/25: 3,700 x 75 ft (1,128 x 23 m) plus 240 ft (73 m) overruns at each end, Surface: Asphalt
The City owns 285 acres (115 ha) around the airport. The airport occupies 205 acres (83 ha). An industrial park fills the remaining 80 acres (32 ha).
- TGH Aviation
- 2389 Rickenbacker Way, Auburn, CA 95602
- Toll Free: (800)843-4976 Local: (530)823-6204
- The Gyro House, d.b.a. TGH Aviation is a Part 145 Instrument Repair Station with a Fixed Base Operator (FBO) on the Auburn Municipal Airport (KAUN). Services Available: Instrument & Avionics Overhauls, Exchanges and Sales, Instrument & Avionics Installation, and Pitot Static Certifications.
- TGH Aviation Airport Shop
- 13615 New Airport Rd, Auburn, CA 95602
- Toll Free: (800)624-0660 Local: (530)886-3230
- The TGH Aviation Airport Shop is a retail and on-line store. Supplies a large assortment of aviation supplies including: charting supplies, aircraft maintenance supplies, headsets, oxygen systems, avionics/GPS, aircraft memorabilia, children's aviation novelties and apparel.
- FBO: Mach 5 Aviation, Inc. AKA: "The Pilot Clubhouse!"
- 2409 Rickenbacker Way, Auburn, CA 95602
- (530) 889-2000
- Provides Aircraft Maintenance and Flight Training
- FBO: Sunshine Flyers Flight School
- 2410 Rickenbacker Way, Auburn, CA 95602
- Flight Training Center and Aircraft Rental. Flight instruction ranging from Advanced Training, Mountain Flying, Spin Training, Tailwheel Instruction, Sport Pilot, Private, Instrument and Commercial to CFI.
- Auburn Municipal Airport Stats
- FAA Airport Master Record for AUN ( PDF)
- City of Auburn. "City of Auburn: Airport and Industrial Park".
- City of Auburn. "City of Auburn: About the Airport".
- City of Auburn. "City of Auburn: Airport Services".
- Kellar, Liz; Kleist, Trina; Moller, Dave (31 August 2009). "Auburn blaze: arson possible". The Union (Grass Valley, California).
- Placer County Community Development Department. "Aerial photo & map of 49 Fire".
- CAL FIRE. "Forty Nine (49) Fire Incident Information]"..
- Auburn Municipal Airport, official site
- FAA Terminal Procedures for AUN, effective September 18, 2014
- Resources for this airport: