Auburn Township, Clark County, Illinois
A portion of the former National Road in Auburn Township
Location in Clark County
Clark County's location in Illinois
|• Total||15.82 sq mi (41.0 km2)|
|• Land||15.79 sq mi (40.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.08 km2) 0.19%|
|Elevation||650 ft (198 m)|
|• Density||15.3/sq mi (5.9/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||62441, 62442|
|GNIS feature ID||0428618|
Auburn Township was created in 1859 and consisted of land taken from Anderson, Dolson, Marshall and Martinsville Townships in Clark County. According to the History of Crawford and Clark Counties, Illinois, the creation was the result of gerrymandering to facilitate the election of an unidentified influential person to be a justice of the peace. The township was named for the already existing village of Auburn.
The village of Auburn had vied with the town of Marshall as the seat of Clark County. Auburn had the advantage of being centrally located. However, Marshall had the larger population and received more votes. Auburn's defeat has been blamed for ruining the village's dreams of growth.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 15.82 square miles (41.0 km2), of which 15.79 square miles (40.9 km2) (or 99.81%) is land and 0.03 square miles (0.078 km2) (or 0.19%) is water.
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Marshall Community Unit School District 2c
- Martinsville Community Unit School District 3c
- Illinois' 15th congressional district
- State House District 109
- State Senate District 55
- Perrin, William Henry, ed.. History of Crawford and Clark Counties, Illinois Chicago, Illinois. O. L. Baskin & Co. (1883).
- "Auburn Township, Clark County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Perrin, p. 462.
|Martinsville Township||Anderson Township|