The original newspaper building on Shortland Street, as seen in 1910.
|Headquarters||Auckland, New Zealand|
The Auckland Star was an evening daily newspaper published in Auckland, New Zealand, from 24 March 1870 to 16 August 1991. Survived by its Sunday edition, the Sunday Star, part of its name endures in The Sunday Star-Times, created in the 1994 merger of the Dominion Sunday Times and the Sunday Star.
Originally published as the Evening Star from 24 March 1870 to 7 March 1879, the paper continued as the Auckland Evening Star between 8 March 1879 and 12 April 1887, and from then on as the Auckland Star.
In 1987, the owners of the Star launched a morning newspaper to more directly compete with The New Zealand Herald. The Auckland Sun was affected by the 1987 stock market crash and folded a year later.
When the newspaper ran editorials in 1991 opposing the work of a gay youth group (Auckland Lesbian and Gay Youth), the paper in turn became subject to strong protests from gay activists. After failing to convince the paper's editor, Frank Haden, to retract his editorials, the activists started a campaign that included discouraging advertisers from booking ads in the paper - a strategy which the activists credit with causing the paper to fold later in the year.
- 75 years of the Auckland Star to be available online - Auckland Council and National Library, 21 March 2011
- "The Auckland Star". National Library of New Zealand. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Auckland Museum MUSE - Library Catalogue". Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "History of the Newspaper Publishers Association". Newspaper Publishers Association. Retrieved 2009-06-24.
- "Early New Zealand Newspapers". rootsweb. Retrieved 2009-06-24.
- Black, Joanne (25 October 2008). "Mary Holm". The New Zealand Listener.
- "David Lange: Peter Bromhead, Auckland Star, 4 March 1987". New Zealand Cartoon Archive. Alexander Turnbull Library. Retrieved 12 February 2010.
- "The fight continues". Gay Express. 18 May 2011. Archived from the original on 26 April 2012. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "Green Party candidate Kevin Hague". GayNZ.com. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
|This New Zealand newspaper-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|