Audrey Niffenegger in 2009
June 13, 1963 |
South Haven, Michigan, United States
A film version of Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife (2003), starring Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams, was released in August 2009. As of September 2013[update], a sequel to The Time Traveler's Wife is in the works.
She has written a graphic novel, or "novel in pictures" as Niffenegger calls it, called The Three Incestuous Sisters. This book tells the story of three unusual sisters who live in a seaside house. The book has been compared to the work of Edward Gorey.
Another graphic novel, The Adventuress, was released on September 1, 2006.
In March 2009, Niffenegger sold her second novel, Her Fearful Symmetry, for an advance of $5 million to Charles Scribner's Sons, a unit of Simon & Schuster, after a fiercely contested auction. The book was released on 1 October 2009 and is set in London's Highgate Cemetery where, during research for the book, Niffenegger acted as a tour guide.
Art and academia
She is a professor in the Interdisciplinary Book Arts MFA Program at Columbia College's Center for Book and Paper Arts in Chicago. She is the founding member of T3 or Text 3, an artist and writer's group that also performs and exhibits in Chicago.
Niffenegger was a Faculty member at the North Shore Art League, north of Chicago, where she taught the Intermediate & Advanced Printmaking Seminar.
Niffenegger is an alumna and board member of the Ragdale Foundation.
She described herself as "somewhere in the spectrum of agnosticism and atheism" and ascribed her disbelief to her Catholic background.
- "Jakob Wywialowski and the Angels" (2004)
- "Prudence: The Cautionary Tale of a Picky Eater" in the book Poisonous Plants at Table (2006)
- Molly Driscoll (September 24, 2013). "The Time Traveler's Wife Gets a Sequel". The Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "The Night Bookmobile | Books". The Guardian. 2008. Retrieved 2013-07-09.
- Motoko Rich (March 11, 2009). "Audrey Niffenegger Receives $5 Million Advance for Second Novel". The New York Times. pp. C2. Retrieved 2013-07-09. "Six years after the publication of her blockbuster best-selling novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger has sold a new manuscript for close to $5 million, according to people with knowledge of the negotiations. It is an especially significant sum at a time of retrenchment and economic uncertainty in the publishing world. After a fiercely contested auction, Scribner, a unit of Simon & Schuster, bought the rights to publish the new novel, Her Fearful Symmetry, in the United States this fall."
- Allfree, Claire (2009-10-01). "Niffenegger goes on a timely journey". Metro. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- Niffenegger, Audrey (2009-10-03). "Audrey Niffenegger on Highgate Cemetery". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- Official Website FAQs
- "Faculty". Northshoreartleague.org. Retrieved 2013-07-09. "Paula Campbell, MA, University of Illinois at Chicago. Graduate of the American Academy of Art. Studied etching and lithography under Audrey Niffenegger."
- Soriano, César G. (2009-10-05). "Niffenegger finds 'Symmetry' in death for second novel". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- Audrey Niffenegger - biography, plus book reviews & excerpts
- Niffenegger, Audrey (2008-08-04). "31.05.2008: The Night Bookmobile". The Guardian (London).
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Audrey Niffenegger|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Audrey Niffenegger.|
- Audrey Niffenegger, Her Site, Audrey Niffenegger's website
- Interview with Audrey Niffenegger, December 2008
- Works by or about Audrey Niffenegger in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Printworks Gallery, Art gallery representing Audrey Niffenegger
- Audrey Niffenegger at the Internet Movie Database
- Interview with Writer Unboxed 3/06 about craft, the process of writing and editing, Time Traveler's Wife, The Three Incestuous Sisters, Her Fearful Symmetry, more.
-  Feature-length radio interview with KGNU Claudia Cragg discussing 'Her Fearful Symmetry'
- Audrey Niffenegger Papers at Newberry Library