The 17 September 2010 front page of Augsburger Allgemeine
|Founded||30 October 1945|
The newspaper was first published on 30 October 1945 under the name of Schwäbische Landeszeitung, under the initiative of Curt Frenzel. Originally, due to the restrictions in early post-war Germany, it was only published twice-weekly. Frenzel had received a licence to publish a newspaper from Colonel Bernhard MacMahon of the US military government in Bavaria.
After Curt Frenzel's death in 1970, his daughter Ellinor Holland continued the newspaper that was renamed to Augsburger Allgemeine on 1 November 1959. The newspaper and publishing company are still fully owned by the Holland family and now managed by the third generation. The paper is published in Rheinisch format.
The Augsburger Allgemeine ran an automated web presence from 1997 until 2001 when an all new website maintained by dedicated editors was introduced. As of today (November 2014) the staff responsible for the newspaper's web presence consists of six permanently employed editors and one search engine optimizer. They are supported by trainees who spent about two months as part of the web team during their cross-media training at the newspaper, as well as interns and freelancers.
The editorial staff researches, writes and publishes news, op-eds, multimedia content like pictures and online videos, as well as interactive services like polls, liveblogs and quizzes. One big part of the web coverage are local and regional news. For that reason the web editors work closely together with the 16 local newsrooms of the Augsburger Allgemeine. These newsrooms provide the newspaper's website with local news and cross-media content over the course of the day. Content that was originally created for the newspaper gets edited by the online staff to fit the site before it goes live.
Other parts of the Augsburger Allgemeine's web presence are an internet forum with about 30.000 registered users (November 2014), reader and editor blogs, a Facebook page with about 50.000 likes, a Twitter feed with 8500 followers as well as a Youtube channel and a Google+ account, all managed by the online editorial staff. In addition to that all of the 16 local newsrooms have their own Facebook page.
Since December 2013 the access to some of the content is subject to a charge. The Augsburger Allgemeine uses the so-called metered model for its paywall. Unregistered users have access to 10 articles per month for free, after a free registration up to 20. If a user wants to gain access to more than that, a subscription is needed.
The newspaper's website is ranked 19th on a list of Germany's top 25 news websites that gets published monthly by the AGOF. According to this list augsburger-allgemeine.de has reached 1.55 million unique users in August 2014.
- Aichacher Nachrichten
- Donauwörther Zeitung
- Friedberger Allgemeine
- Günzburger Zeitung
- Illertisser Zeitung
- Mittelschwäbische Nachrichten
- Landsberger Tagblatt
- Mindelheimer Zeitung
- Neuburger Rundschau
- Neu-Ulmer Zeitung
- Rieser Nachrichten
- Schwabmünchner Allgemeine
- Wertinger Zeitung
- "Augsburger Allgemeine beteiligt sich an Timeshot". Augsburger Allgemeine. 1 June 2007. Retrieved 15 December 2008.
- Von der Zeitung zur Mediengruppe (German), Retrieved: 16 November 2008
- Schwäbische Landeszeitung - Edition 1 (German) 30 October 1945, Retrieved: 16 December 2008
- Presse-Druck- und Verlags-GmbH Short history, Retrieved: 16 December 2008
- In Augsburg verlegte Zeitungen (Bestände Augsburger Institutionen) (German) List of newspapers published in Augsburg, Retrieved: 16 December 2008
- Adam Smith (15 November 2002). "Europe's Top Papers". campaign. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "European Publishing Monitor" (Report). Turku School of Economics (Media Group). March 2007. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Augsburger Allgemeine website List of associated newspapers with publication numbers, Retrieved: 16 December 2008
- Augsburger Allgemeine website Paywall announcement, Retrieved 13 November 2014
- meedia.de AGOF rankings for August 2014, Retrieved: 13 November 2014
- Augsburger Allgemeine website List of associated newspapers with publication numbers, Retrieved: 15 December 2008
- Schwäbische Landeszeitung - First edition, Tuesday, 30 October 1945 (German)
|This German newspaper-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|