|August A. Dietz, Sr.|
|Born||October 19, 1869|
|Died||September 26, 1963)
|Significant projects||study of mail and postal history of the Confederate States of America.|
|Significant awards||Lindenberg Medal
A.P.S. Hall of Fame
He died September 26, 1963 in Richmond, Virginia.
Because he was a trained lithographer and typographer, and because he had access to some of the postal sources of the Confederate States of America, he became interested in the postage and philatelic history of the Confederate States.
Today he is regarded as the Father of Confederate Philately.
He established himself in Richmond at 900 West Clay Street, Station A, Richmond, Virginia.
Editor and Publisher
The Dietz publishing chronology:
- 1896 – editor of the Virginia Philatelist, a monthly philatelic magazine published in Richmond.
- 1901 – formed his own company, Dietz Printing Company
- 1924 – commenced writing articles on Confederate philately.
- 1924-29 – published The Southern Philatelist
- 1929-33 – published The New South Philatelist
- 1931 – published Dietz Confederate States Catalog and Handbook (expanded and reissued in 1937, 1945, and 1959 – expanded and published in 1986 as Specialized Catalog of the Postage Stamps of the Confederate States of America.)
- 1933-36 – published Stamp and Cover Collecting
- 1937-39 – published Stamp and Cover Collectors Review
- 1929 – published his famous The Postal Service of the Confederate States of America
Dietz was considered an expert in Confederate philately and wrote widely on the subject. Some of his studies included:
- The engraver of the Five Cents De La Rue
- The South's "Way of Life" - Random Notes for the Student of Confederates
- The Confederate States Post-Office Department, its stamps & stationery
Dietz received numerous honors including:
- 1938 – awarded the Lindenberg Medal by the Berlin Philatelic Club
- 1940 – awarded the first Luff Award by the American Philatelic Society for Exceptional Contributions to Philately
- 1948 – awarded the honorary title of “General” by Confederate Stamp Alliance
- 1955 – awarded the Lichtenstein Medal by the Collectors Club of New York
- 1964 - inducted into the American Philatelic Society Hall of Fame
The August Dietz Award
The August Dietz Award is named in honor of the Founding Father and first President of the Confederate Stamp Alliance (1935–1939) and is presented yearly, starting in 1962, to those who exhibit distinguished service to Confederate Philately in the field of research and writing.
- Postage stamps and postal history of the Confederate States
- US Presidents on US postage stamps, Civil War era
- Philatelic literature
- The Stamp Specialist
- Philatelic Database – August Dietz
- August A. Dietz, Sr.
- August Dietz Award
- History of the Confederate States Catalog and Handbook