August Geiger (pilot)
|Born||6 May 1920
|Died||29 September 1943
over Zuiderzee, Netherlands
|Buried at||Ysselsteyn, Netherlands
(Block M-row 4-grave 83)
|Years of service||1939–1943|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
August Geiger (6 May 1920 – 29 September 1943) was a German Luftwaffe night fighter ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves during World War II. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Geiger was born on 6 May 1920 in Überlingen, near Lake Constance. Geiger joined the Luftwaffe in late 1939 and was posted in mid-1941 as Leutnant to 8./NJG 1. Geiger's first two claims were a Wellington and a Whitley on 26 June 1942. By the start of 1943 Geiger had ten victories and been awarded the Iron Cross First Class.
In early 1943 Geiger was promoted to Oberleutnant and transferred to a 7./NJG 1, becoming Staffelkapitän in May 1943, with some 40 confirmed victories.
On 29 September 1943 he was shot down by the Beaufighter VI of W/C Robert ‘Bob’ Braham of No. 141 Squadron over the Zuiderzee, Netherlands. Gieger managed to bale out of his Bf-110 G but was drowned when his parachute dragged him under.
He was posthumously awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross on 2 March 1944.
In 328 combat missions, Geiger claimed 53 aerial victories, all of them at night.[Notes 1]
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (19 October 1942)
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Gold
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- German Cross in Gold (31 August 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- For a list of Luftwaffe night fighter aces see List of German World War II night fighter aces.
- 'Aces High'; Shores & Williams
- Obermaier 1989, p. 61.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 161.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 68.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1989). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe Jagdflieger 1939 - 1945 (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann. ISBN 3-87341-065-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.