Woodruff County courthouse in Augusta
|• Mayor||Rocky Tidwell|
|• Total||2 sq mi (5.1 km2)|
|• Land||2 sq mi (5.1 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||217 ft (66 m)|
|• Density||19,332.5/sq mi (8,022.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0076211|
Augusta is a city in Woodruff County, Arkansas, United States, located on the east bank of the White River. The population was 2,693 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Woodruff County.
Augusta is located at (35.286501, -91.360935).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,665 people, 1,070 households, and 741 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,357.4 people per square mile (525.0/km²). There were 1,164 housing units at an average density of 592.9 per square mile (229.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 55% White, 42.99% Black or African American, 2% Native American, 0.08% from other races, and 0.64% from two or more races. 0.38% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,070 households out of which 32.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.2% were married couples living together, 22.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.7% were non-families. 28.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.3% under the age of 18, 9.2% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 23.2% from 45 to 64, and 14.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 90.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,500, and the median income for a family was $24,506. Males had a median income of $24,781 versus $18,176 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,865. About 23.6% of families and 28.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.9% of those under age 18 and 24.9% of those age 65 or over.
The Jess Norman Post 166 American Legion Hut on 1st Street was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
- Michael John Gray, farmer with a law degree in his native Augusta; Democratic member of the Arkansas House of Representatives since 2015
- Jimmy Gunn, professional football player.
- John D. Price, U.S. Navy admiral who held five aviation world records.
- Victor Rodman, actor.
- Billy Ray Smith, Sr., professional football player; father of Billy Ray Smith, Jr..
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "MUST SELL: 64 Speedway, Augusta Arkansas". STL Racing. Jan 6, 2008.
- "Michael John Gray". arkansashouse.org. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- "Jimmy Gunn". databaseSports.com. Retrieved Oct 2013.
- "Ex-Aviator John Price Dies at 65". The Victoria Advocate. December 20, 1957.
- "Billy Ray Sr. Smith". Pro-Football Reference. Retrieved January 2014.