Augusta, New York
|Augusta, New York|
|— Town —|
|Madison County line and County Route 11.|
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Town Supervisor||Suzanne M. Collins (R)|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||27.7 sq mi (71.8 km2)|
|• Land||27.7 sq mi (71.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||919 ft (280 m)|
|• Density||73/sq mi ( 28/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0978696|
The Town of Augusta is in the southwest part of the county.
Augusta was first settled around 1793. The town was formed from the Town of Whitestown in 1798. The name might also be from a militia officer, Augustus Van Horn.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 27.7 square miles (72 km2), all of it land.
The south and west town lines form the border with Madison County, New York.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,966 people, 744 households, and 532 families residing in the town. The population density was 70.9 people per square mile (27.4/km²). There were 812 housing units at an average density of 29.3 per square mile (11.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.91% White, 0.31% African American, 0.76% Asian, 0.36% from other races, and 0.66% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.56% of the population.
There were 744 households out of which 33.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.0% were married couples living together, 8.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.4% were non-families. 24.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.5% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 28.9% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 13.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 100.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $33,274, and the median income for a family was $41,302. Males had a median income of $28,977 versus $23,063 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,367. About 5.5% of families and 8.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.2% of those under age 18 and 10.4% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Augusta 
- Augusta – The hamlet of Augusta on NY 26.
- Five Corners – A location northeast of Augusta.
- Knoxboro – A hamlet northwest of Augusta.
- Lloyds Corners – A location south of Augusta.
- Lyons Mills – A hamlet west of Oriskany Falls.
- Newell Corners – A location west of Lloyds Corners.
- Oriskany Falls – The Village of Oriskany Falls is by the southeast corner of the town.
- Wells Corners – A hamlet in the northeast part of the town.
Notable people 
- John Jay Knox, (1828–1892), born in Augusta, financier and the United States Comptroller of the Currency.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Who Was Who in America, Historical Volume, 1607-1896. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who. 1963.