Augusta Street (Hamilton, Ontario)
Augusta Street is a Lower City collector road in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. A two-way collector road that starts off on James Street South and ends 4-blocks East at Shamrock Park just past Walnut Street South.
Augusta Street originally between Catharine Street and Ferguson Avenue was known as O'Reilly Street. In 1895 when the TH&B (Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway) line was built the street was trancated at Walnut Street South. The railway line also cut the Corktown neighbourhood in two. The elevated railway line cuts through Shamrock Park.
Chateau Royale is a multi-story residential condominium located in downtown Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on James Street South near Augusta Street. Standing at 14-stories (70.0 metres) it is the 19th tallest building in the city. It opened in 2006 after being transformed from an office tower complex into a condominium complex. Originally the office tower complex was known as the Undermount Office Complex  and before the Office Complex this was the site of The Alexandra, a roller rink which opened on Christmas Day 1906. It became a popular entertainment spot that featured skating, dancing and big band music. The roller rink closed down 30 April 1964 and was torn down soon thereafter.
This street also plays host to a yearly block party each August, that extends along Augusta from James St. S. to Hughson St. S. From the Augusta Street Block Party website:
- The Augusta Block Party [features] Live music, local vendors, food and a licensed beer garden are just the start! This event is for the whole family, with features including kids play areas, fire safety lessons from Hamilton’s finest fire fighters, and a Chili Cook-off with proceeds to the Hamilton Professional Fire Fighters Assistance Fund.
Note: Listing of Landmarks from West to East.
- James Street South Shopping District
- Chateau Royale (condominium), just north of Augusta on James Street South
- Augusta British Pub District:
- The Pheasant Plucker
- Aout'n About Inc.
- Augusta's 'Winking Judge'
- Cat 'N' Fiddle
- The Ship
- Augusta House Gastropub
- Residences on Augusta (Seniors residence)
- Canadian Pacific Railway line (originally the TH&B, Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway line (1892-1987))
- Shamrock Park
- Blueline Taxi Cab company (Just north of Augusta on John Street)
Roads that are parallel with Augusta Street
Lower City Roads:
- Burlington Street, West/East
- Barton Street, West/East
- Cannon Street, West/East
- Wilson Street
- King William Street
- King Street, West/East
- Main Street, West/East; - Queenston Road
- Jackson Street, West/East
- Hunter Street, West/East
- Augusta Street
- Charlton Avenue, West/East
- Aberdeen Avenue
Niagara Escarpment (Mountain) Roads:
- Concession Street
- Queensdale Avenue West/ East
- Scenic Drive - Fennell Avenue, West/East
- Sanatorium Road
- Mohawk Road, West/East
- Limeridge Road West/East
- Lincoln M. Alexander Parkway - Mud Street, (Hamilton City Road 11)
- Stone Church Road, West/East
- ; Rymal Road, West/East
- Twenty Road
Roads that cross Augusta Street
Note: Listing of streets from West to East.
- MapArt Golden Horseshoe Atlas - Page 647 - Grids H12