The museum is located in a former Augustinian monastery which was rebuilt between 1914 and 1923. The First World War not only interrupted the rebuilding but also severely restricted it compared to the original plans, due to lack of funds. The current total renovation, which is planned to include the addition of new exhibitions rooms, began in 2004. The museum's collection, which was begun by the city of Freiburg in the 1880s, can be only partially exhibited due to the building work.
The visual art and sculpture collection includes works by Lucas Cranach the Elder, Anselm Feuerbach, Hans Baldung Grien, Matthias Grünewald, the Master of the Housebook, Hans Thoma, and Franz Xaver Winterhalter. There is also a sculpture hall with four-metre-high stone prophets from Freiburg Cathedral, a church organ from Welte & Sons with an exterior from the 1730s, and a library of art and cultural history. The Museum of Municipal History (Museum für Stadtgeschichte) is a department of the Augustiner Museum.
The collections that are not on display, or only partially, include a large graphics collection, decorative art, domestic artefacts from the Black Forest region, collections of coins and timepieces, and a 14th-century carpet.
- Van Uffelen, Chris. Contemporary Museums - Architecture, History, Collections, Braun Publishing, 2010, ISBN 978-3-03768-067-4, pages 248-251.
- Masterpieces from the Middle Ages to the Baroque at the Augustinermuseum in Freiburg i.Br, Freiburg 2010, ISBN 978-3-422-06949-7
- Renovation of Augustinermuseum, Freiburg im Breisgau Christoph Mäckler, architect. (English)
- Augustinermuseum Freiburg Badische Zeitung, 16 March 2010. Retrieved 24 September 2010. (German)
- Augustinermuseum in Freiburg: Eine schöne Maschine Volker Bauermeister, Frankfurter Rundschau, 24 March 2010. Retrieved 24 September 2010. (German)
- Städtische Museen Freiburg: Augustinermuseum City of Freiburg. (German)
- Lächelnd lockt die Venus vom Münsterturm Volker Bauermeister, Badische Zeitung, 20 March 2010. Retrieved 24 September 2010. (German)
- Augustinermuseum: Münsterfiguren in der Skulpturenhalle Claudia Füßler, Badische Zeitung, 17 March 2010. Retrieved 24 September 2010. (German)
- Kunst auf Papier: Graphische Sammlung (German)
- Augustinermuseum Freiburg Badische Seiten (Baden tourism site). (German)
- In praise of the Augustiner Museum, Freiburg, Germany, Retrieved 13 December 2010. (English)
- Home page (German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Augustiner Museum.|
- This article incorporates information from