The Auke are an Alaskan Native people, a subgroup of the Tlingit whose name for themselves Aakʼw Ḵwáan means "Small Lake People". The Auke lived along the northwestern coast of North America, in the area that is now the Alexander Archipelago and adjoining mainlaind of the Alaska Panhandle around Juneau.
The Auke had a village on the bay just east of Point Louisa, about 13 miles northwest of Juneau. The site, now adjacent to Glacier Highway, has been reserved by the U.S. Forest Service as a recreation area.
In 1880, after Joe Juneau and Richard Harris were led to gold in the Silver Bow Basin, U.S. naval officers encouraged the Auke to move from the area to avoid conflict with miners and prospectors. The census of Alaska at the time listed the Auke population as 640, of whom 300 were on Admiralty Island, 50 on Douglas Island, and 290 on Stephens Passage, the latter presumably including those at the Point Louisa village.
Clans and houses
Divisions and houses of the Raven Moiety or Clan
- Lʼeeneidí (Gift Blanket People)
- G̱aatáa Hít (Trap House)
- Téelʼ Hít (Dog Salmon House)
- Yax̱te Hít (Big Dipper House)
- Lʼuknax̱.ádi (Coho Salmon People)
- Lʼook Hít (Coho Salmon House)
- G̱aanax̱.ádi (People of G̱aanax̱)
- G̱aanax̱aa Hít (G̱aanax̱ Group House)
- Yéil Hít (Raven House)
Divisions and houses of the Wolf/Eagle Clan
- G̱unakadeit Hít (Sea Monster House)
- Hít Tlein (Big House)
- Noow Hít (Fort House)
- Tóosʼ Hít (Shark House)
- Xeitl Hít (Thunder/Thunderbird House)
- Xóots Hít (Brown Bear House)
- Map of Auke territory and list of clans
- "Auke Village". Local Area Place Names, Juneau Page - Databases, KINY Radio - Juneau, Alaska (Alaska-Juneau Communications, Inc., 1995-2007), www.kinyradio.com. Archived from the original on 28 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-07.
- "Alaska Native History and Cultures Timeline". Alaska's Digital Archives (2004 VILDA), vilda.alaska.edu. Archived from the original on 2007-10-23. Retrieved 2007-09-07.
|This article relating to the Indigenous peoples of the Americas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Alaska-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|