No. 73 Chicago Bears
|Date of birth:November 9, 1987|
|Place of birth: Evanston, Illinois|
|High school: Iola-Scandinavia (WI)|
|College: Murray State|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 5 / Pick: 153|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Jacksonville Jaguars|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2014
Austen D. Lane (born November 9, 1987) is an American football defensive end for the Chicago Bears. He was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Murray State. He has also been a member of the Kansas City Chiefs and Detroit Lions.
Lane made 14.5 sacks on defense and caught 31 passes for 717 yards and 13 touchdowns on offense his senior year at Iola-Scandinavia High School. He earned All-conference and All-region honors for defense and offense and was selected All-state as a defensive end and honorable mention All-state as a wide receiver. Additionally, he had five blocked punts, 77 solo tackles, 61 assisted tackles and four fumble recoveries his senior year. He also earned two letters as a member of the Thunderbirds' basketball team and was named Second-team All-conference in 2004-05.
Lane started 40 of 43 games at Murray State of the Football Championship Subdivision. He holds school records with 29 sacks and 55 tackles for loss. Following his senior year, he was named as a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award, given to the top defensive player in FCS football. He was named as a FCS first team All-American by the Associated Press and was selected as the Ohio Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year.
In 2009 Lane was second in the FCS with 11.0 sacks and third in the FCS with 19.5 tackles-for-loss after leading the OVC in sacks and TFL. He also ended the year with intercepting a pass and returning it 21 yards for a touchdown in a victory over Austin Peay. For the season in 11 games, he had 64 total tackles, 32 solo stops, 19.5 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, 1 interception for 21 yards and 1 touchdown, 3 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 8 quarterback hurries, 2 pass breakups.
The previous season he played in all 12 games and recorded 63 tackles, ranked second in the country with 22 tackles-for-loss and set MSU single-season record with 12 sacks. In 2007 Lane started 10 games at defensive end and led all defensive linemen with 48 stops, including 28 solo stops. In 2006 as a true freshman he played in 10 games, making 34 tackles, including 11 solo stops. He also had 3.5 tackles for a loss, finished with 2.5 sacks and had one pass break-up and blocked two kicks.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 6⅛ in||276 lb||33⅜ in||10⅛ in||4.58 s||1.51 s||2.61 s||4.07 s||6.70 s||35 in||9 ft 11 in||24 reps||x|
|All values from Murray State pro day.|
Following his senior season at Murray State, Lane was invited to participate in the 2010 Senior Bowl as a member of the North roster. He scored a touchdown off a fumble recovery in the second quarter and the North squad went onto win the game over the South 31-13.
Lane was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the fifth round (153rd overall) in the 2010 NFL Draft. He was reunited with his college coach Matt Griffin, who had previously been hired by the Jaguars as an offensive assistant. Lane was signed to a contract on July 14, 2010. The deal was for four-years and $1.974 million, including a $184,190 signing bonus.
As a rookie, Lane started nine games for the Jaguars.
Kansas City Chiefs
- Bleacher Report.com
- "Austen Lane, DS #8 DE, Murray State". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- "Jaguars Sign Rookie Defensive End Austen Lane". jaguars.com. July 14, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Lane, Austen (June 13, 2013). "What It’s Like to Get Whacked". Retrieved November 6, 2013.
- Birkett, Dave (November 5, 2013). "With Ziggy Ansah in a walking boot, Detroit Lions sign former Jaguars DE Austen Lane". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved November 6, 2013.
- Wilson, Aaron (November 27, 2013). "Lions cut Austen Lane, promote Rodney Austin". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved December 25, 2013.
- Campbell, Rich (February 17, 2014). "Bears sign former Jaguars DE Lane". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- Mayer, Larry (August 30, 2014). "Bears cut 17 to reach 53-man limit". Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- Birkett, Dave (November 6, 2013). "Austen Lane spent two months on MMA, got into 'The Walking Dead' before Detroit Lions signed him". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved November 6, 2013.