Austen Tayshus (born 17 March 1954) is the stage name of Jewish Australian comedian Alexander Jacob Gutman (commonly called Sandy Gutman). He is best known for the comedy single "Australiana", a spoken word piece filled with Australian puns; it is Australia's best-selling single ever.
Alexander (Sandy) Jacob Gutman was born in New York and moved to Sydney at the age of one. He is the son of a Hasidic Holocaust survivor. He grew up in an Orthodox Jewish home. At 15, he participated in the International Bible Contest for Jewish Youth and took part in the finals in Israel; he finished in the top five. Later, he spent several months at a yeshiva in Jerusalem. He returned to Israel as a volunteer during the Yom Kippur War. Gutman lives in New South Wales and has two daughters.
The stage name "Austen Tayshus" is an aptronym based on the word "ostentatious". Austen Tayshus first gained public recognition in 1983 performing his comedy single, "Australiana", written by fellow comedian Billy Birmingham. It is a spoken word piece that contains many puns using Australian terms, especially with the names of places and animals. For example:
He branched out into highly political, controversial humour, often drawing on his Jewish background. A tall man (6 feet 6 inches (1.98 m)), he appears on stage wearing a black suit and dark sunglasses. He is characterised by a resonant deep voice. He is often moody, and taunts his audience and venue staff.
Since "Australiana", he has performed over 10,000 shows, and produced films, documentaries and records, mostly dealing with social issues.
In 1999, he released "Footyana", a comedy piece in the style of "Australiana". It includes such lines as:
In August 2010, he ran for the Australian House of Representatives in the Division of Warringah in the August federal election, representing the Australian Sex Party. He stood against Liberal Party leader Tony Abbott. He subsequently ran in the 2011 New South Wales state election as a member of the Outdoor Recreation Party, contesting Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell's seat of Ku-ring-gai.
- Fitzgerald, Ross (29 December 2012). "Austen Tayshus sends a postcard from the edge". The Australian. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Sandy Gutman aka Austen Tayshus" at Q&A
- Down Under comedian brings show to Israel
- "Australiana by Austen Tayshus". The Mad Music Archive. Mad Music Productions, LLC. 2010. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- Comedian Austen Tayshus to contest Tony Abbott
- http://candidates.elections.nsw.gov.au/default.aspx[dead link]
- "A rare genius for burning bridges" by Jack Marx, The Australian (4 June 2011)